• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio delete info

YY1

Local time
9:00 AM
Reaction score
My car has a factory radio, but does not have a factory antenna. It has aftermarket dual antennas on the quarter panels, and had 5 1/4 inch speakers with chrome grilles laying under the package tray when I got it. The antennas look very professionally installed as they are perfectly centered and even with each other. I have very carefully examined the passenger side fender and can find no evidence of a hole or any body work from either the top or bottom. If this has been patched, it's the best body work I have ever seen.

What else could be a clue as to if this is a radio delete car?

The rear seat was missing when I got it and I haven't pulled up the carpet yet.

What are the odds it is a delete car, and the dealer (or first owner) installed a radio from dealer stock, and had an audio shop install the antennas and speakers?

Thanks,

Kerry

Yea I would think it is a radio delete car. The dealers used to put the antennas on the rear the majority of the time when the customer added the radio. Not sure why they added tow, but maybe the owner wanted the look? Ignore the dorks that are going to say that "radio Delete is an incorrect term".

KID

Radio delete is an incorrect term :rolling::rolling::rolling:

well it is:edgy:

I guess I am one of those dorks too. it IS an incorrect term, you can't delete something that was not standard, a radio was an OPTION. Would you call an non A/C equipped car A/C delete?:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Sooo...I wonder how many were ordered/built without a radio? I see very, very few at shows and in mags.

I suspect dealer installs had rear antennas because it was much easier for a tech to lie in the trunk, than fit an arm in between the door and fender, or up in the fender and fiddle with that splash shield.

I have an original "delete" plate which was purchased seperately, but I kind of think the antennas look cool. Kind of a "period" look Only one had a cable that went up to the dash, the other is a dummy.

"Ordered without a radio" is not nearly as fun or easy to say as "radio delete".

I found a pass side fender that is in much better shape, but now I think I will ask my body shop to fix this one, since it doesn't have an antenna hole.

Here's a pic. Not the best angle. The car does have one repaint, but still, absolutely no sign of filler or patching- anywhere for that matter.

So this car got built as a 440 model, with a 383-4, A/C, and no radio.

Interesting.

DSCN0098.JPG

There were a lot more cars order back in those days without radios than you might think. Most of them were in the cheap, transportation only type cars or in fleet type vehicles purchase for federal, state, county, and city vehicles that kept the cost down on and would not buy the option. The thing is, these cars were crushed long ago, not saved or are seldom restored. Other cars like my Hemi car that was ordered for a bare bones, all business race car, were ordered without to both keep the weight and cost down.

My GUESS would be that a little older buyer ordered your car without a radio as many of the older people could care less about a radio in a car. However they DID like A/C when it became available in cars.

The later added radio/antennas with the slanted rear mounted antennas was a late 50s-early 60s thing. Somebody that bought the car used thought it was cool, that's all.

Auto Transport Service
Back