• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

radio delete plates

f8-4life

Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting. Both 1968 B body radio deletes. One Plymouth and one dodge. The Plymouth is metal and dodge plastic. Kind of neat comparison.

IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1646.JPG

Were they all metal before 68? The one in my 66 Belvedere is metal....

One is a 68 belvedere and the other is a 68 coronet 440. The dodge one I pulled out of the dash myself.

Were they all metal before 68? The one in my 66 Belvedere is metal....
I don't know the answer to your question but the one in my '66 Satellite was metal also.

I don't know the answer to your question but the one in my '66 Satellite was metal also.
A Satellite without a radio isn't all that common. Mine is a Belvedere I.....but know a guy that ordered a Satellite with a teen with 3 on the tree and a no frills interior including a rubber floor mat. He just wanted the exterior trim package.

My former 69 A12 Superbee, had a plastic radio delete plate with the same grain used on the 69,and 70 B body rallye dash faceplates. I have also seen several of the 69,and 70 B body woodgrain rallye dash radio delete plates. Although they are the same in appearance and fit,the 69 woodgrain is slightly darker than the woodgrain used in 70. I don't know if Chrysler actually changed the color of the simulated wood grain,or changed to a different supplier for the 70 model year.

Last edited:
A Satellite without a radio isn't all that common. Mine is a Belvedere I.....but know a guy that ordered a Satellite with a teen with 3 on the tree and a no frills interior including a rubber floor mat. He just wanted the exterior trim package.
I don't know the reason behind the radio delete. The car was a '66 Hemi, 4 speed Satellite with radio delete, but it did have carpeting. The guy that I bought it from owned a failed restoration business, this was one of his personal cars that needed restoration when I bought it. He bought it out of Tennessee I believe. The story behind the car was that in the '80's the sons of the original owner used the car in a string of gas station robberies. After the sons got arrested the owner pulled the engine so that when the sons got out of prison they couldn't get in any more trouble with the car. The guy that I bought it from ended up buying the car from the original owner, he pulled it apart some more and lost the trans in the process, my guess is one of his employees stole it from him. The guy that I bought it from needed money, that's were I came in. I no longer own the car but I do still have the left side tail light bezel with the bullet hole in it, we fixed the bullet holes in the deck lid when we did the rest of body work. Is the story true? I don't know.

I have a plate in my '69. I pulled it out of a wreck YEARS ago. Plastic and the same grain as the basic textured dash. I've had a number of them over the years but since my car is a '69, that's basically all I ever looked at and pulled them out of in various colors. All plastic. All with the basic texture. Seems to me anything above a basic Belvedere would have had a radio as standard equipment! Anything with an upgraded interior trim package also would have had a radio as part of it.

Auto Transport Service
Back