• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio delete question

Mr111

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
My ‘69 A12 roadrunner that I am presently restoring (final stages) was decoded and does not show up with any radio code on the fender tag. I assume that means it’s a radio delete car. A couple questions about this:
1) no fender hole, right? Well my newly painted fenders already have a hole in them what is the best option plug or weld and repaint?
2) the dash and rear deck have speakers in the speaker holes. Do they belong (likely not)? What do I replace them with to fill the holes?
3) best place for a correct radio delete plate for the dash?
Thanks for any help.

I believe radio was standard equipment and delete would be a code.

I believe radio was standard equipment and delete would be a code.

A Radio was not standard. They were optional. Therefore you cannot “delete” an option. The equivalent would be PS delete, A/C delete, Sure Grip delete.

Radio codes do not show on a 69 LR tag meaning the tag is not a way to determine if the car came with a radio or not.

Just to be clear. I sent Galen Govier all my info and in his detailed description there is no mention of a radio. My mentioning the fender tag was premature. So once again, lacking a code, I assume radio delete and still have the same 3 questions.

First, I would admit I am NOT an A12 expert. Seems you have 3 options:
1) Metal patch and re-paint the fender.
2) Find & finish a plug to fit the Fender hole.
3) Place the correct antenna base, with or without the whip, and install a radio, or a radio delete plate.

Radio code would be on a broadcast sheet, not on a lynch road fender tag. No build sheet?
There were five different radios available.

Last edited:
No such thing as Radio Delete. Radios were options. As said no radio code on Lynch road fender tag.

5 radios? I know of 3 thumbwheel radios for 1969 B-bodies: AM, AM/FM, AM 8 track.
There were no knob radios available in 1969 B-bodies.

Answers to questions for Mr111
1) best option? to install a radio now that the car is painted.
2) If no rear speakers then the rear speaker holes were left open. Same with front.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no build sheet. How much stock should I put in Galen’s decoding based on my vin number and his Chrysler documentation? He was able to give a lot more detail than the fender tag. Assuming he is correct, what about the front speaker? Also just a hole? Seems strange to me.

1. You have a hole for the antenna.
2. The fender is already painted.

I'd install a radio, or at least an antenna.

According to the a12 site referenced above, 2 watt, 4watt, am pushbutton, am/fm pushbutton, am/8track. You may be right about the thumb wheel, maybe low power am used a knob? I don't know that answer.
Option code R 11, 13, 18, 21, and 22.

No A04 code. I am tempted to put a radio in it, but I’d actually prefer the novelty of the radio delete, especially if i can confirm it really was that way from the factory. Plus going with a restored radio, new speakers, wiring, etc that would match my restoration would be a lot more costly. If I want tunes I planned to put a Bluetooth speaker between the seats. That said I don’t feel really good about welding on a beautifully painted, perfectly good fender. So I’m really on the fence.

00202401.jpg
https://www.radioparts.com.au/produ...aerial-hole-cover-plug-sealoplug#.XJWeVbh7m70

How much stock should I put in Galen’s decoding based on my vin number and his Chrysler documentation?
Very little with no broadcast sheet and a Lynch Rd fender tag. Other than the tag info that anyone can decode these days he's just guessing at anything else or stating what was standard on your model of car. I just looked at my report from him from a dozen + years ago to confirm this.

If there's a speaker in your dash and a hole in your fender it came that way from the factory. Nobody later in time was going to get up in there and install a chrysler dash speaker, in the 70's / 80's they would have slung tweeters under the dash edge and the good speakers in the back deck! .. don't ask how I know.. LOL
beerestoration2015 693.JPG

Good point. The fenders are new, but my old one had the antenna hole too. Plus it is an original looking mopar speaker in the dash. Unless it got installed at the dealer, I don’t see how it got in there either.

The simple fix to the rear speakers is to replace the package tray with one with no speaker cutout. Install a radio - with no broadcast sheet the car is worthless anyway ;-)

According to the a12 site referenced above, 2 watt, 4watt, am pushbutton, am/fm pushbutton, am/8track. You may be right about the thumb wheel, maybe low power am used a knob? I don't know that answer.
Option code R 11, 13, 18, 21, and 22.

R13 was Charger only. NA in Coronet or Belvedere models.
What’s R18?

Auto Transport Service
Back