• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rag top side windows help

pearljam724

Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
On my 69 Coronet Convertible. Particularly, the driver side window drops down at the top where it meets the roof/window seal. Leaving roughly a 1/4-3/8 inch gap at the top/rear section of window. I believe this issue is also causing a problem with the way the front window overlaps the rear window. Can someone be so kind to shed some light on what causes this. So, I know what to look for. Does something usually break inside, need adjusted / replaced, etc. Up near the front/top of window it fine. Drops down roughly a quarter near the rear of window only. Thank you, for any help

I have the same issue. Check in the service manual. If you take the plastic trim/armrest panels off you'll see several bolts that adjust the travel up/down and in/out toward the outside of the car vs. inside. That is as far as I have gotten on this. A body shop could probably adjust it rather quickly for some cash as they constantly remove windows and hardware.

On my 69 Coronet Convertible. Particularly, the driver side window drops down at the top where it meets the roof/window seal. Leaving roughly a 1/4-3/8 inch gap at the top/rear section of window. I believe this issue is also causing a problem with the way the front window overlaps the rear window. Can someone be so kind to shed some light on what causes this. So, I know what to look for. Does something usually break inside, need adjusted / replaced, etc. Up near the front/top of window it fine. Drops down roughly a quarter near the rear of window only. Thank you, for any help
I'm working on a very similar issue with my windows right now. Anyway, here is what I "think" I know...
1. I don't believe the convertible DOOR window mechanism is all that unique....maybe the little "triangle support" for the front vent window frame "leg", but that's about all I've seen.
2. The door glass does have in/out/front/back adjustments BUT, the glass is only pushed up/down by a single point (one roller at the end of the regulator arm inside a "slide" attached with one plastic rivet in the center of the glass)….so it's not like "the front half is pushed up more than the back half" (make sense?). It's almost dead-center in this picture below
upload_2018-12-5_12-36-45.png

3. The glass slides up/down pretty tightly held (front) in the front window channel "mylar" felts (circled in picture above) and sort of "loosely held/guided" (back) in the rear run channel seal.
4. That roller "slide" I mentioned in #2.....The top of that piece is what attaches to the glass itself with a single plastic pin & the glass can rock back/forth slightly. There's an oddly-shaped paper gasket of sorts that squeezes in there, but the glass still has some front/back/tilting "slop" in it. (I considered window glass adhesive tape here, but didn't use it. I think it's important for the glass to have this little bit of "slop" so it doesn't jam.)

Now, my guess is what you're dealing with is a couple things.
upload_2018-12-5_12-36-45.png

a. Something in the back of the glass is hanging it up a little bit.....rear channel seal itself, rear channel seal frame out of adjustment quite a bit, or ?. Maybe just a shot of silicone front & back where the glass slides?
b. The "up stop" of the glass probably will need to go up a little bit (maybe not?)

ECS has the triangular shaped lift bracket gasket. Power window will be different.

Auto Transport Service
Back