• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rant: I hate chrysler

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
Let me tell you something: It was NOT a great idea to put a big block (440 in my case) in that (to) SMALL engine bay!

You can't reach ****.
There is almost no working room, kinda like a modern car.

Even something "simple" like changing spark plugs makes you want to scrap the car.

Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful looking and driving car, comfy and nice with in my case a/c and even cruise control.
But the people that decided that this MAINTENANCE NIGHTMARE is worth 90k in #3 condition must be OUT OF THEIR ******* MIND.

Why am i so mad?

Well i just spent 5 hours together with my dad trying to change the motor mounts.
We managed to change 1 (passenger side) and i'm not sure if it's possible to swap the driver side mount without pulling the engine. (even less working room)
Everytime we repair something on this car it's the same story: Almost no working room. Most of the time you can barely fit a wrench.

Not a great design from a maintenance point of view.
Look at my 72 cutlass supreme (It has an sbo but even the ones with bbo seem to have way more working room in pictures)
or look at a 70 chevelle (same platform), 69 camaro or 67 impala for example.
Those all seem to be way more maintenance friendly due to having more working room.

I don't know. I kinda spent 50k on this car to punish myself.
Could've bought a 70 chevelle ls6 for the same money at that point.
Yeah the mopars look the best and we've got the hemi (unfortunately i don't have a hemi personally) but i think the chevelle would be the better choice for the non masochist mechanic.

If you want a charger better get it with a slant 6.
Or hire your own personal pitiable creatures (mechanics) to do the work for you. (Like Jay Leno does)

I should do like hoovie from hoovies garage.
Make videos about how great these cars are and let someone else do the crappy work for me while making money at the same time. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful looking and driving car, comfy and nice with in my case a/c and even cruise control.
But the people that decided that this MAINTENANCE NIGHTMARE is worth 90k in #3 condition must be OUT OF THEIR ******* MIND.
You've obviously never worked on a Ferrari, or Jaguar with the V8 option. :lol:

****, even my buddy' Subaru needs the front end removed just to change the air cleaner.

Name ONE car that is designed to be worked on, c'mon, just ONE !!! Suck it up!

I used to swap motor mounts in the driveway under the car when I was 18. Same with oil pans, clutches and everything else. Don’t blame the platform for your limited skill set.

Sorry to hear about your issues but your an idiot! Please find another group to join!

Sorry i said something not so nice about your favorite brand but does this look like a great working environment to you?

image7.jpeg

I used to swap motor mounts in the driveway under the car

That's exactly where i do it.

Sorry i said something not so nice about your favorite brand but does this look like a great working environment to you?

View attachment 1304206

That's exactly where i do it.

Well I'm guessing Hemirunner's point being it could be done in the driveway by an eighteen year old kid in under an hour... I wasn't gonna miss out on cruising or racing or meeting friends.... It could be 100+ degrees & the engines still hot but that mount needs changing & I was gonna get it done, get a shower & be out where things were happening not pissing & moaning about how hard it is to work on an old Mopar...

You need to GROW UP! You come across as some privileged young snob that thinks everything in life should be perfect for you.
It's clear from your posts that you have no mechanical skills and not much common sense either.
Sell the car, make some money or do a mechanics course, buy some decent tools and shut the fxxk up.

Well I'm guessing Hemirunner's point being it could be done in the driveway by an eighteen year old kid in under an hour...

I want to see that being done.
I would take a day off just to see that being done.

Edit:

It sounds simple "just take a block of wood and lift the oil pan, then swap them out" and it would be.
The problem is the lack of working room. And its not that these bolts come off easy.

I'd like to beat the crap out of the engineer that designed (and thought it was a good idea to actually mass produce this crap) that ******* b body platform.
Let me tell you something: It was NOT a great idea to put a big block (440 in my case) in that (to) SMALL engine bay!

You can't reach ****.
There is almost no working room, kinda like a modern car.

Even something "simple" like changing spark plugs makes you want to scrap the car.

Why am i so mad?

Well i just spent 5 hours together with my dad trying to change the motor mounts.
We managed to change 1 (passenger side) and i'm not sure if it's possible to swap the driver side mount without pulling the engine. (even less working room)
Everytime we repair something on this car it's the same story: Almost no working room. Most of the time you can barely fit a wrench.

Not a great design from a maintenance point of view.
Look at my 72 cutlass supreme (It has an sbo but even the ones with bbo seem to have way more working room in pictures)
or look at a 70 chevelle (same platform), 69 camaro or 67 impala for example.
Those all seem to be way more maintenance friendly due to having more working room.

I don't know. I kinda spent 50k on this car to punish myself.
Could've bought a 70 chevelle ls6 for the same money at that point.
Yeah the mopars look the best and we've got the hemi (unfortunately i don't have a hemi personally) but i think the chevelle would be the better choice for the non masochist mechanic.

If you want a charger better get it with a slant 6.
Or hire your own personal pitiable creatures (mechanics) to do the work for you. (Like Jay Leno does)

I should do like hoovie from hoovies garage.
Make videos about how great these cars are and let someone else do the crappy work for me while making money at the same time. :D
1. We've all done it - no, it's not an easy chore, but it's not as bad as you let on.
It's a friggin BIG BLOCK MOPAR for heavens' sake. It takes up some real estate - but even us
older guys manage just fine, even with such things as clutch linkages and yes, motor mounts.

2. A small block Olds and a big block are the exact same dimensions. Bet you didn't know that.

3. An Impala is the equivalent of one of our c-bodies - a bigger chassis. Of course it would be an easier
job in such.
Chevelle? Camaro? Apparently you've not worked much on BBC's in those....same deal. It's tight in there.
Been there done that.

4. Hoovie's claim to fame/how he makes money is by being a clown. He doesn't turn wrenches, wouldn't know how.

Sigh - Look Michael:
I reckon we all get frustrated at times, working on things...that's no reason to so easily give up on the very reasons
we love these cars and have made the decision to become their stewards.
It's a responsibility and a labor of love, one we do as much for those who will come behind us to next care for these
historic cars as we do for enjoying them ourselves now.
If you're that easily put off by such, then perhaps your heart isn't in it to begin with.

Replacing motor mounts? Pfft.. piece of cake. You just need a decent arsenal of hand tools and a floor jack.
Now, do something stupid like I did a couple weeks ago when I stripped out 2 of my steering box mount nuts. Just finishing up the job of removing the k-frame and cutting it open to make the repairs.
There isn't any brand of car that is easy to make every repair on. Remember, these cars were only designed to last 10 years at the most. You still have one of the most desirable and best looking muscle cars ever made. Not only that, but if you did decide to sell, you will have a very nice profit from what you paid. I would bet your Charger appreciated far more than the Chevy you mentioned in your first post during the same time frame.

Geez
Stop bitching
Do the job or find someone that can
It doesn't matter who made it chrysler gm or caterpillar they all have their own problem areas

Let’s talk about no room to work... I can pull it out, replace bearings and have it back in later that afternoon, yes, changing plugs is easy, lol.

EBBCF8FE-3024-49A0-B60B-700FD53979F4.jpeg

E8214C0C-A97F-4331-8270-C86649898EC7.jpeg

Well obviously i'm a bit excited right now.

But here is a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T 440 engine bay

248699_Engine_Web.jpg

And here is a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 LS6 engine bay

LS6CowlInduction.jpg

There obviously is more working room.

Also with the chevelle you can do this:

2012-11-03_13-37-48_15Large.jpg

You can't do this with a b body mopar.

To be honest. I never had a issue with BB parts changes.

Go buy a 60s Mustang , then youll have a reason to bitch. Tight areas in a small engine bay. I have a 68 Gt/CS. Not exactly pleasant to work on. But I only vented to myself for what was in store for working on.

I’ve got two S code (big block) 1967 fastback mustangs. Cry me a river. Mopars are easy to work on.

To be honest. I never had a issue with BB parts changes.

Go buy a 60s Mustang , then youll have a reason to bitch. Tight areas in a small engine bay. I have a 68 Gt/CS. Not exactly pleasant to work on. But I only vented to myself for what was in store for working on.

Try a plug change on a 390 in a 68.... :lol: Plug changes on a 440 B body are actually pretty easy if you realize they should be done from underneath....

Auto Transport Service
Back