• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD Rare ‘U’ code 440 1972 Dodge Charger Special Edition project car $12,495 San Jose, CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Migsbig

Local time
8:23 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Selling one of my muscle cars, rare Dodge Charger. Before we get into the car itself, I will exsplain why it is 'rare car first. 1972 was when this charger and about 74,000 other Chargers were made that year, a little Over 21,000 were 'SE' optioned. Now take into account that of all those cars, only 720 Special Edition Chargers were made with the high performance 440 option. Now let's talk factory power sunroofs option. Out of a total production, only 488 were ordered with it. Out of the SE model 398 were so equipped. From info I've found so far, only 62 '440' cars were optioned this way (currently waiting for confermation on product info from Galen G.). To add more unique and rare on how this car is, a lot of options were added besides the sunroof. This car come with besides SE trim option and sunroof, power steering, power disc brakes, air conditioning, 440 cooling and suspension, swaybar package, electronic ignition, automatic transmission, hideaway headlights, Rallye dash w/150 speedo w/clock, am/fm radio, floor mount console recorder, rear window defroster, 8 3/4 rearend, tilting steering column, dual chrome mirrors, 440 emblem call outs for
The front fenders, front top fender turn signal indicators, Rimblow steering wheel, dash curtesy light , tinted glass and power windows! But wait, there is more. Being the factory black interior and bench seat are nice condition and very comfortable on road trips, looks great while surrounded by the very unique 'Gumetal Gray' which is a chrysler term for dark metallic silver . When you combine this paint color with the black vynle top and SE chrome package, it makes for an incredible stunning look on these cars. Making this car back into a premium piece won't be hard since it's nearly rust free and not needing tons of replacement parts. Clean trunk, floors, framerails, quarter panels, fenders and such will save you thousands of dollars in repair Costs and cut restoration time down considerably. Original 440 is missing and another 440 has been sitting in it for years. 727 transmission may not be correct, have not seen numbers on it to confirm it, but I do have more good news as the fender tag, vin tags, door tag, radiator support, cowl stamping and build sheet are all correct with this car. Yes, this car is probably one of the better restoration cars on Craig's.. if you look around at similar cars, those are listed for $40k/$50k range. That's crazy money for a car, this project is much cheaper and comes With another 440 for parts, dual snorkel air cleaner, rear swaybar, 15x10 steel wheels and a few extra parts. Price is $12,495/or best offer. Located in San Jose, CA and have a trusting transport guy I can get you quotes to your location. Here is a craig’s List of the car with lots of pics and more to come.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/rare-factory-440-dodge/6476167033.html

001B5D0E-1377-455B-ADA9-3C0CE3F50208.jpeg
2A3539C1-F73D-4B3F-AFCC-73C936AA6214.jpeg
6AA2DD3F-4496-482A-8619-9BA7171DBA22.jpeg
822EAF86-CF9B-41CD-8777-842C0D6F16BD.jpeg
6D779798-4C60-4D38-87F9-BB50B5E93684.jpeg

Super interesting fender tag. I dont see a paint code?

Also, Is the 64 next to it for sale?

Last edited:
I've seen a couple references to the engine call outs on non- R/T cars, and even a factory placement diagram.

...but I've never seen them on an unmolested, original car.

In fact, I've only ever seen them on one car ever, and it was an extensive restoration.

Do you have any evidence of these, such as an original paint pic?

I've seen a couple references to the engine call outs on non- R/T cars, and even a factory placement diagram.

In fact, I've only ever seen them on one car ever, and it was an extensive restoration.

YY1 you seem to know these cars ok, where is the A4 paint code on that fender tag?

Not seeing the body color code it should of been next to the interior code

Looks like a Lynch Road tag...

...but my Lynch Road '72 has the paint code.

...right above the engine code and below the top code.

Looks like this tag has "324" there.

Paging @69Coronetrt

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a pic of the trunklid and hinges with gunmetal paint still on it.
When I get home tonite, I’ll see what info the broadcast sheet says.
01F5E2F7-7C57-4641-B1F3-7E9A4182B0E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the trunklid and hinges with gunmetal paint still on it.

View attachment 566171

I am in no way doubting you or its original color im just wondering if such a hi option car was ordered for a special reason and wondering about the paint code. Its awesome. Making me more and more intere$ted in the car

in all my years ,I have never known the factory to have placed an engine displacement emblem on the front fender of ANY 71-74 Dodge b body.

That's what I was saying.

There is, however, a FSM supplement specifying where they go, and it's odd to say the least. Shortly after that surfaced, there was a freshly restored car sporting the emblems in that specified location. Coincidence?

If you mean the ‘440 magnum fender emblems’, I have those off the car and in the pic on the paint, you can see an outline of the adhesion on the what looks to be original paint.

215EFEEF-C88B-4836-B84E-F57F27B33B4C.jpeg

Need to see the build sheet. That should clear things up more.

Some very interesting things here. Could we get a clear pic of the build sheet?

If it were a few states closer...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Lynch Road did not code a lot of individual options.

It's an interesting car for sure.

I'd document those fender emblems for sure since that's one of those "unicorn" things.

If I were close, I'd be interested in the car.

I've seen a similar 71 U code SE in FC7 (on the tag), and a 72 WH Charger U code in FY1 recently.

Im close and interested as well but will be in okc for 6 weeks. Ill revisit this then and go from there. Love to see a build sheet. I think the car is one of one

Here is a pic of the emblem. I have two bags with the built sheet in them, but have not checked the car to see if there are more. I know of another 2 1971-1972 charger’s local that have the fender call out on them too. Been a lot of messaging in my pm, please slow down abit so I can catch up please.

CF924873-B886-45A0-915B-03A4F60C2751.jpeg

I'm interested also and have sent you a PM. The paint looks like A9 Charcoal Metallic which maybe wasn't an option on the Charger in 72, which might explain the 324 paint code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back