• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare, Rare Headers

Mike Gaines

Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
Here is a pix of the headers I purchased for my Max Wedge Aluminum Nose 1963 Belvedere.
I bought the headers in the spring of 1965.
I knew a guy who knew a guy who knew about this set of headers being available to purchase.
These very headers were off of the RAMCHARGERS Max Wedge Dodge.
I was told that the RAMCHARGERS made only 3 sets of the headers, for factory backed Mopars.
They were called RAMCHARGER MARK II Headers.
They had several slip joints to install them.
Each tube was exactly the same length and if I remember correctly that measurement was about 42 or 43 inches.
I had this set of headers that I actually saved off my Max Wedge until about 1977.
I had them stored in the attic of my garage, but like an idiot, I didn't much care about them anymore and left them up in the attic when I sold that house.
I did inquire about them a couple years ago but the owner of the house remembered that he trashed some junky exhaust tubing (as he called it) that was up the garage attic years ago.
20180222_100042.jpg
20110624_46.jpg

Note: Please don't give me any static about painting my motor "gold". I thought it was cool back then. LOL

cool, they look like candy canes

Man, that sucks that they got away from you! They look like a cluster of candy canes, LOL.
If we only knew then what we know now huh?

I have always believed that equal length tube headers are the best you can get....but very difficult to achieve and make everything fit in the car.
Nice pic Mike, and thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

I have always believed that equal length tube headers are the best you can get....but very difficult to achieve and make everything fit in the car.
Nice pic Mike, and thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:
Used to call them "tuned" headers

From the looks of them, p/brks was a no-no? Awesome looking though, 2-1/4”?

Oh my gosh Mike!
You could have bought us ALL Hemi Cudas' with the money you could have gotten for them!
Talk about "UNOBTAINABLE"

PS: Hoping to see you in Bakersfield 01 thru 04 March!

PSS:
Who is the guy at Bako that runs the GTX with the Jolly Rancher on the doors?

Last edited:
Oh my gosh Mike!
You could have bought us ALL Hemi Cudas' with the money you could have gotten for them!
Talk about "UNOBTAINABLE"

PS: Hoping to see you in Bakersfield 01 thru 04 March!

PSS:
Who is the guy at Bako that runs the GTX with the Jolly Rancher on the doors?
I will be at the March Meet next Week.
We are going down Tuesday Feb 27th. 6 days of racing...wow.
Well, I sold my Funny Car for $1500 including a single axle trailer for $1500 in 1969.
That is all it was worth then.
Best I can recall the headers were probably 2", not 2 1/4".
My motor was a 13.5-1 CR with the big 3705 Carbs but, of course, it had Max Wedge Port IRON Heads.

20110624_71.JPG

Cool early version of tuned headers :thumbsup:

Gold paint no biggy, :lol:
what about the red & white candy-cane striped headers :poke:

Max Wedges are awesome!
The headers are wild! I love the factory cast iron headers too! What a great motor.
I would go with Trick Flow 270 Max Wedge size port heads, but I am 100% committed to using my Edelbrock/Chrysler aluminum 6bbl intake on my stroker build, and I believe the 240s are a better match, not to mention the radical mods that the intake would require to work with the Max Wedge size ports. I'm confident that I can reach my 6xx HP and 6xx TQ goals with the 240s and the Edelbrock 6bbl intake, enjoy a wider powerband, and keep the RPMs in the low 6,000s on the red line side rather than having to ring its neck to make big HP numbers with those big ports and everything else that would go with those giant ports.

Max Wedges are awesome!
The headers are wild! I love the factory cast iron headers too! What a great motor.
I would go with Trick Flow 270 Max Wedge size port heads, but I am 100% committed to using my Edelbrock/Chrysler aluminum 6bbl intake on my stroker build, and I believe the 240s are a better match, not to mention the radical mods that the intake would require to work with the Max Wedge size ports. I'm confident that I can reach my 6xx HP and 6xx TQ goals with the 240s and the Edelbrock 6bbl intake, enjoy a wider powerband, and keep the RPMs in the low 6,000s on the red line side rather than having to ring its neck to make big HP numbers with those big ports and everything else that would go with those giant ports.
I don`t remember where , or who, but I saw a dyno test of some special equal length headers, versus a store bought set. They were the same size, on the same engine w/ no jetting changes or anything. The store bought set were from a top notch company. There wasn`t much diff in them at all, h.p. and torque were almost equal !! Not worth the extra hassle .

Very cool Mike. I have seen a pic of one of the Ramchargers cars with headers like that as you could see the candy cane look on them under the car out to the collectors. Bummer you don't still have them. Ron

those are very cool candy cane headers . golden lion engine color as well . love those four bolt rocker covers as well . i have a pair of factory chromed four bolt cover i plan to use on my rb 383 sonic ram intake engine , they have some early moon breathers on them . just more old school for the look . i don't know why he cut that breather tube down , but it will fit .
DSC00163.JPG
DSC00164.JPG
DSC00162.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back