• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rattling noise 904 trans after rebuild

Moms68

Local time
3:07 PM
Reaction score
Finally have ironed out many issues rated to a 904 rebuild in my 340 powered Charger. Fired things up and have filled the trans to the proper level. Took it for a test drive and it shifted great, with no leaks, but there a rattling tinny sound in neutral or park. It goes away in drive or reverse.

I had the original torque converter rebuilt, used the original short flex plate to TC bolts, and original dust shield.

I’m thinking dust shield or inspection cover. Anything else I should be inspecting??

I had a mystery noise after trans swap and checked all the likely suspects. It turned out to be a broken exhaust hanger vibrating metal on metal. Sometimes it's something you removed to get out of the way...

I had a mystery noise after trans swap and checked all the likely suspects. It turned out to be a broken exhaust hanger vibrating metal on metal. Sometimes it's something you removed to get out of the way...
Great call! It was a very loose header flange bolt. I did remove the dust cover and checked all the TC bolts and for signs of rubbing. That all checked out good.

Great call! It was a very loose header flange bolt. I did remove the dust cover and checked all the TC bolts and for signs of rubbing. That all checked out good.
NICE!! Glad it was an easy fix. Isn't it satisfying to find the culprit so quickly? My loose hanger issue drove me crazy for 2 yrs! I've now learned to not be afraid to grab onto different things and see if they move.

On another occasion I myself had a loose header bolt on a road trip that sounded EXACTLY like lifter noise. Stumped me and 3 car buddies for hours on that road trip and then after removing the valve cover and checking the springs, breaking said valve cover corner after re-tightening, JB welding said broken corner back together and reinstalling (glad O-reilleys was only 2 blocks away...), discovered the loose header bolts, tightened, and went on our way for another 3 days of car shows, drag racing and road course racing with my car. What a fiasco that was! Now I know - things loosen and need to be checked often.

Ask Dennis H and Darius about that trip. They were there.

I've now learned to not be afraid to grab onto different things and see if they move.

1 a 20 (2).jpg
1 a 23 (2).jpg
1 curvy 12 (2).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back