• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raybestos or Moog Ball Joints?

68 coronet

Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
I'm hearing Moog are not as good as they once were, and Raybestos is made by Spicer and suppose to be better.
Anybody have any thoughts on either one?

Never knew that Raybestos sold anything but brakes.If the newer Moog is supposed to be junk,find some old new stock:blob1:

I used to trust Moog implicitly. If it was Moog, it was good! During the economic melt-down, alot of good companies were swallowed-up by others. I remember names like sealed-power, and federated being thrown around as some of the big buyers of some well-known names. This is a big forum. The people here are not the ones that want to price-match between Auto-zones "Dura-Crap" line, and O'Riellys "House-Brand" shite! They want to find the best quality part, and are willing to pay for it, PERIOD!
Are there ANY Manufacturers rep's on this forum that wants to step-up and tell us that they sell the best product?

Old wise one where are they made then?Ive heard the same about being made overseas.

I didn't say they were NOT made overseas. I said I hadn't heard it. Since you both seem to have, where's your sources?

Copied this off of moparts hope it helps:

Being a distributor for Spicer Profesional Series chassis and steering components for over a year, I can confirm that there are two levels of service parts. The Red service line is the lower price line and most of the items are imported. The Blue line is the Professional Series line which are virtually all USA-made. This is the line that I carry, and the response over the last year has been tremendous. The front suspension packages, components and rear suspension components are listed in my eBay Store (bremotorsports, check Group 2, 17 and 19) and will of course be in my website which is just about ready to go as well. For a closer look also right now, there is a Spicer-related posting in the Hot Deals/New Products forum here on Moparts (on the 2nd or third page I believe) that lists all of the packages. You can also contact me directly.

Bill Rolik

Bill Rolik Enterprises

[email protected]

201-394-5533 Cellular-Days

But here's the thing....and it's been that way for years, so it's no surprise. If it's in a MOOG box and it says MOOG, it's a good part. Besides.......there ARE good parts available from overseas. The problem is there have been such an influx of them that it's hard to tell what's good and what's not. There's also a lot of crappola made right here in the good ole USA.

I was in the Auto Parts business for 29 yrs as the owner of a three store independent chain. The main , high quality brands of front end parts were, Moog,TRW,Perfect Circle/Dana or Spicer and Mc Quay Norris. This was true through the eighties and their quality was high. It was more or less a Coke or Pepsi thing. Which one do you personally like?? Then in the Early nineties Warehouse distributors and Big Box stores started really cutting prices to get their piece of the pie!! Some of our Warehouse distributors actually started to go after the installer/garage and fleet business directly, bypassing traditional Jobber Stores with fleets of delivery trucks and highly trained/ paid countermen. This intense competition for price is what drove the need for lower quality ( off shore ) Auto Parts. If an installer customer demanded price only, this is what he would buy and install on his customers car. And.... a lot of times they would charge for the higher quality of part!!! This two tier quality of parts production spread into almost all areas of manufacturing , including Ignition Parts. This has now become common practice, and most parts suppliers will have at least two tiers or quality of product to sell their customers. Most of the Big Box stores push the low quality product , as to appear that they are more competitive.Also, the Big Box stores are selling and delivering parts to local shops now , and making inroads to the traditional market. Advance, Auto Zone, O' Riellys and others will have a counter in the back of the store somewhere, with a phone and a person to serve the Proffesional installer business. You can still buy high quality Auto Parts if you know where you are looking, but the waters are becoming increasingly muddied. All of this B.S. in the Auto Parts business caused me to sell out to Carquest in 2000. I could invest in Real Estate and do just as well. And this , my friends , is why you rarely see a True Independent Auto Supply Store anymore. Unless its way out in the sticks somewhere.

moog being lower quality is a bunch of bs.i run a very large shop(16 bays)and we install moog parts when ever possible.we pay more for them,but they never come back with any sort of problems.most of the "company"branded products(auto zone,oreilly and such)will almost always come back with some sort of issue.there are a few other good brands out there,but moog is still top of the line as far as i am concerned.just for reference,we prob do suspention work on at least 5 to 10 cars a day.

Yes, Moog , Spicer,McQuay Norris and a few others are still high quality. A buyer just needs to know what he is getting in the box. Probably sold 2 Million Dollars worth of Quality front end parts in 29 yrs!!. And yes, there's lots of junk out there!!

I've used NAPA chassis parts in several cars with good results. The top quality NAPA chassis parts are made by DANA/Spicer and are signified by part #s starting with NCP. Napa also sells a second tier of chassis parts called Master Ride with #'s starting with MRE. I do not recommend Master Ride for anything. A friend of mine owns the best front end shop in our area and he won't use anything but the top line NCP NAPA chassis parts.

I've used NAPA chassis parts in several cars with good results. The top quality NAPA chassis parts are made by DANA/Spicer and are signified by part #s starting with NCP. Napa also sells a second tier of chassis parts called Master Ride with #'s starting with MRE. I do not recommend Master Ride for anything. A friend of mine owns the best front end shop in our area and he won't use anything but the top line NCP NAPA chassis parts.

Our little local Napa store Debco/Napa here in Sonora off Mono Way, says basically the same exact thing.... I don't use much stock suspension components in my toy anymore, so it doesn't really effect me too much either way, but I have always liked anything Dana/Spicer, had great luck with that brand... I've used Moog for years too, never had an issues either... I never buy the "cheapest anything", is probably the key, not a big price shopper, I'm more of a USA Made, dependable & quality guy, over price & pay a little bit more instead... a good old saying "you get what you pay for", when you buy price shopped crap that's cheap, you just get cheap ****... my $0.02 cents

I used to trust Moog implicitly. If it was Moog, it was good! During the economic melt-down, alot of good companies were swallowed-up by others. I remember names like sealed-power, and federated being thrown around as some of the big buyers of some well-known names. This is a big forum. The people here are not the ones that want to price-match between Auto-zones "Dura-Crap" line, and O'Riellys "House-Brand" shite! They want to find the best quality part, and are willing to pay for it, PERIOD!
Are there ANY Manufacturers rep's on this forum that wants to step-up and tell us that they sell the best product?

I will agree that there are different grades/quality of products. What it comes down to is simple. It’s about supply and demand. We have seen a large abundance of lower quality product (or the option of a lower priced line) in the market because there is a demand. Perfect example, I had a customer that was appalled when he called for a price on a set of brake shoes for his GTX and we told him they were $40. He proceeded to write a post on our social media site how our pricing was outrageous. I responded simply with this rather than delete his post:

I do want to apologize if you feel the service that you received today was of poor standard. Here at PST we strive to supply the muscle car hobbyists with the parts they need to keep their cars on the road. As you mentioned, our brake shoes are $40 a set. I do agree that there are cheaper sets that range from $20 up to $50 from a quick search online. We have provided quality parts for 29 years and we base our pricing off the quality of our parts. In addition, we provide free shipping on all orders within the U.S., where if you buy them from another venue you may have a shipping charge as well on top of the unit price. In my opinion, for as a rare of a car as your GTX, I would go with a mid-price range or better brake shoes for peace of mind as these Mopars are few and far between.

In an economy like this manufacturers are supplying the demand with what they want and that is lower prices and in turn may result in lower quality. ( But I do see this is the case of daily driver and not specialty cars)

As for PST, our parts are the same quality components that we have supplied for 29 years. We do source parts globally with many from the US as well (and for those saying U.S. made is the only way. How many of you are reading this on a mobile phone that is not US made???? JUST SAYING). We keep all of our parts to a high standard and offer a quality warranty, whether it is made here or not. Before taking over marketing here I did customer service and I can't even remember that last ball joint issue that I had.
My personal opinion, especially when it comes to my Mopar is quality over price, especially something as important as a ball joint is to steering and suspension.

Just my 2 cents

Make an effort to always Buy American, it's not all that difficult to do, To-Support American companies, Support American Mfgrs, Support American workers & keep them working, it's not always about profit, saving a buck & sourcing cheaper products, it's about doing the right thing !!, when ever possible, buying quality parts or products & hopefully also all American made... 4 great words when buying any products for our treasured rides or your house or what ever... Made In The USA, none greater, no excuses can make up for anything else, whether you have products that were made somewhere else offshore or not, makes no difference... But buying American made products, Made, Produced & Assembled In The USA, is the right thing to do we, for our nation & the workers, we really need more or the younger generations, that buy all these foreign made products, to get that simple fact of life !!, when you buy foreign made products your supporting a foreign owned entity & economy... If we want America to be the leaders, in every category once again {including any car part & especially performance parts}, to continue to be great or the greatest country on Earth, we need to try at-least when ever possible, could you imagine how great we could be, if we all just pay a buck or two {or $10} more if necessary... JFK said it the best "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country", I really honestly think that saying applies very well, here too... OK I'm off my soap box now...LOL...

Budnicks

My only question is........and not to play devil’s advocate but what about the American worker that may work for a company that doesn't supply USA made parts? They are working to support their family as well. In my opinion I base my own buying habits off of known quality and service.

Like for example:

Bilsteins they are not a US based manufacture (But we sell them and they are an excellent shock with many of you guys running them)

The Computer that you are on I'm using a Toshiba.

The gasoline in you tank

At the end of the day it comes down to your own beliefs. We are a global market at this point and whether you buy American or not it has an effect.

To be honest I answered this initial question( Knowing it to be a loaded one) because it is a question that comes up often when people call. We are not afraid to answer it, and also due to the fact that it was asked for a manufacturer to speak up. Many of our parts are made state side and some are not. But all of our workers are American and they work hard to earn an honest living.

Budnicks

My only question is........and not to play devil’s advocate but what about the American worker that may work for a company that doesn't supply USA made parts? They are working to support their family as well. In my opinion I base my own buying habits off of known quality and service.

Like for example:

Bilsteins they are not a US based manufacture (But we sell them and they are an excellent shock with many of you guys running them)

The Computer that you are on I'm using a Toshiba.

The gasoline in you tank

At the end of the day it comes down to your own beliefs. We are a global market at this point and whether you buy American or not it has an effect.

To be honest I answered this initial question( Knowing it to be a loaded one) because it is a question that comes up often when people call. We are not afraid to answer it, and also due to the fact that it was asked for a manufacturer to speak up. Many of our parts are made state side and some are not. But all of our workers are American and they work hard to earn an honest living.

I like the fact PST is an American owned & ran company... I'm not blaming you PST/James, I know we can't alway buy Made In The USA, by American... I well know we are a Global Economy... I wasn't born yesterday either... Like I said at-least try... I know I do... Opinions will vary vastly... I gave mine, we can agree to disagree... I never said I was perfect either, but at-least I make an honest attempt to alway try to buy Made In The USA, when ever humanly possible, especially for my cars... some things are out of our control, we can't do anything about that sometimes, especially if your not the person making the purchasing decissions, then you have no choice, you have to sell/buy what is offered or in stock... then there are some things that aren't, those items you should make an effort to support 100% American Owned & made products... My Cars, Dodge Dakota 4x4 made in Dearborn Michigan plant, Plymouth RR made in St. Louis Mo. plant & Ford F350 in Detroit plant, My computer is a Dell & my screen is a HP 21" & Microsoft software, with a Pentium Processor {I'm sure some foriegn parts & crap in there too} I buy Chevron/Standard fuel when ever possible {I know it's foreign blend of foriegn/middle east crude oil crap now} All American Owned Companies, it's about making a change & some honest effort, if no-one care or no-one trys, to have nothing American made, if we constantly keep buying from foriegn owned companies, or constantly worried it's a couple dollars more to buy American made products, were all screwing ourselves... my $0.02 cents

I like the fact PST is an American owned & ran company... I'm not blaming you PST/James, I know we can't alway buy Made In The USA, by American... I well know we are a Global Economy... I wasn't born yesterday either... Like I said at-least try... I know I do... Opinions will vary vastly... I gave mine, we can agree to disagree... I never said I was perfect either, but at-least I make an honest attempt to alway try to buy Made In The USA, when ever humanly possible, especially for my cars... some things are out of our control, we can't do anything about that sometimes, especially if your not the person making the purchasing decissions, then you have no choice, you have to sell/buy what is offered or in stock... then there are some things that aren't, those items you should make an effort to support 100% American Owned & made products... My Cars, Dodge Dakota 4x4 made in Dearborn Michigan plant, Plymouth RR made in St. Louis Mo. plant & Ford F350 in Detroit plant, My computer is a Dell & my screen is a HP 21" & Microsoft software, with a Pentium Processor {I'm sure some foriegn parts & crap in there too} I buy Chevron/Standard fuel when ever possible {I know it's foreign blend of foriegn/middle east crude oil crap now} All American Owned Companies, it's about making a change & some honest effort, if no-one care or no-one trys, to have nothing American made, if we constantly keep buying from foriegn owned companies, or constantly worried it's a couple dollars more to buy American made products, were all screwing ourselves... my $0.02 cents

I agree 100 % with your logic and I commend you for doing what you do:icon_thumleft: as I do the same with my cars but my wife and her car is another story. But for me its more about buying from the small business and helping the US worker. As we know that it is impossible to buy everything USA made especailly the parts and materails that are used to make these products(automobiles being one).

My only grip is with the misnomer on parts that are made overseas being perceived as "Junk" which is not true. In some cases the quality meets or exceeds some US manufacturers. This statement may have been true 30 years ago but not now.

I will end my posting on this thread as I know we can go back and forth and we both have VERY valid points (Good ones at that)

Thanks
James

Auto Transport Service
Back