• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real weight of 318 Poly

66 Sat

Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
There's a lot of conjecture about the weight of a 318 poly. "As heavy as a 440" some have claimed (a 440 weighs 670 lbs according to the info. I've found). Hughes Engines "estimates" it at 600+ lbs.
Anyway, mine is out, about to receive a stroker crank, and I weighed it.
I used 2 bathroom scales, with 150kg (330 lbs) capacity each, with a piece of timber between them to put the engine on.
The engine with exhaust manifolds, cast iron intake, forged crank, stock rods, 0.060 bore, cast pistons, fuel pump, water pump, engine mounts, but without starter, carb, fan or alternator weighed 550 lbs.
I weighed it a few times, shifting the scales and the timber to centralize the the weight, and it kept coming up the the same. I never did get both scales reading half each (275 lbs), depending on where the scales were it would always favor one or the other, but I'm confident it was fairly accurate.
The load leveller (11 lbs) and timber (5 lbs) were also in that weight.
Lighter than I expected, but still pretty heavy pulling around on the engine crane.
20220313_111213.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back