• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REALLY high cold idle

71newp

Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
I replaced the carb on my 1976 360 2 bbl (Holley 2245) with a remanufactured one of the same model. Now, when the engine is cold it has a really high idle, I'm guessing close to twice as high as it should be (it really roars!) After about 15-20 seconds I can usually get it down to what I would consider a "normal" cold engine, higher idle. It idles beautifully when it is warmed up. It is non-lean burn (never had it, it's a real early '76.) No idea what the PO may have done ref disconnecting emissions stuff. I thought I had all the vacuum lines as before. What do I check, and how? Thanks to all in advance.
Tim

The first thing I would check is the adjustment on the fast idle cam. It may be putting the cam up a notch or two causing the faster idle and then as the choke starts to back off, it adjusts the cam position. Check both the cam and the adjustment screw.

Auto Transport Service
Back