• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really?

skyman51

Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
I must be deaf and blind to market realities. I have a #1 show winning trailer queen. A 1967 Hemi GTX, white with copper interior. The car is done and needs nothing! Due to health issues I am looking to sell it. I may be biased, but I DO believe it is the finest most original and documented one out there. Only 720 were built, how many are still on the road? I have been contacted by "experts" by PM that say even if the car were in a museum, it is worth 70-80K!I have been driving these cars since 1966 and did not fall on my head recently. Am I just not facing facts, or folks are pi**ing down my leg and telling me it is raining?

In my experience "experts" are looking to flip it and make a buck. They may have to sit on it a while and have their money tied up so they're lowballing you. To get top dollar you have to sell to someone who wants the car as a keeper.

My Brother had a good saying "If you wait long enough, someone will pay full price". Just remember that the 66-67 Hemi Cars don't get the respect that the 68-69 Hemi Cars do. I don't agree with that, but that's the way it is.

The value of a car is only as much as what someone is willing to pay. Until you find that person, the actual number is unknown. The value to YOU, is the lowest price you are willing to sell it at. That number is also unknown if you are forced to sell for other, more compelling reasons.

I appreciate all your thoughts. I absolutely love the car but really can't enjoy it anymore. I don't need the money, so that is not why I want to sell. A real serious MOPAR person that wants the best should have this as their only car or as part of a collection.

I must be deaf and blind to market realities. I have a #1 show winning trailer queen. A 1967 Hemi GTX, white with copper interior. The car is done and needs nothing! Due to health issues I am looking to sell it. I may be biased, but I DO believe it is the finest most original and documented one out there. Only 720 were built, how many are still on the road? I have been contacted by "experts" by PM that say even if the car were in a museum, it is worth 70-80K!I have been driving these cars since 1966 and did not fall on my head recently. Am I just not facing facts, or folks are pi**ing down my leg and telling me it is raining?

I Call it the "herd" mentality.
For example, there is NO DOUBT whatsoever the 1967 GTX is a "Landmark" automobile.
1. Boldly thrust in GMs face, you want a GTO. Ha Ha, Here is a GTX
2. One year only style, first year of car.
3. Only 2 engine options...BIG & BIGGER. (440 and the Mighty Hemi)
4. NO GM muscle car could beat the 1967 GTX on the street. Period (1967). (Remember, a 66 or 67 427 Vette is NOT a Muscle Car)
5. Plymouth, with Richard Petty proved the Body Style on the NASCAR circuit.
6. Upgrade interior, 150 MPH speed-o, Bucket style back seats.

What does this mean?
Simply put, a truly outstanding, highly desirable Muscle Car
But a RESTO MOD 1969 Camaro WILL pill in more money at the correct auction
Why?
Simply put: "Idiots"

Your Hemi Car is $80K + all day long.
PICs please?

Its awesome to hear that you don't need the money. And its always terrible to hear some jerk flipper has something (anything) that he would gladly cut a profit off of your longtime efforts to preserve something of historical value. So where do you go from here?? museum?? some mega rich guys collection where it will be preserved properly?? What would Jay Leno do??

So, are you shocked that it's worth 70-80k, or shocked because you think it should be more? Can't tell from the first post..

MO, 66's are collector's orphans and 67 cars are stepchildren of 68 thru 71 cars. At least you have a performance name,GTX. Satellite is ok but doesn't project a performance image. Have you done a color picture ad in Hemmings? If you want bigger money need to attract attention with pictures and with luck you'll stand a better chance of finding a buyer. JMO. Don't think you'll get a $100k. From a value stand point wish mine was a 67 GTX.

I agree with Beanhead.
By the way...as historical as they are, they do not have the appeal as a 68-70 or a 70-71 E body. As an aside, I know of people that love the 65 Plymouth and 65 Dodge models more than the 68-70 but they are also in the minority.
I do feel disappointed sometimes if something that I like is not also appreciated by others. In your case, I'd guess that you just want it to be respected as much by the new owner as it has been by you.

What gets me irked, in my biased opinion, is that fools will trip over themselves to pay top dollar for grossly overrated GM cars. Yet, gems like this one here are undervalued for their true worth.

66's are collector's orphans
Cant disagree.... When I got my '66 Belvy II in the early 90's, I was really surprised to find how many folks at car shows didn't know what it was at all.... It might as well have been a Marlin lol...

I don't recall exactly what you were asking for this car (I think it was more than 80k), but I DO recall that you have been trying to sell it for at least 2 years now. That should tell you something right there about market realities, regardless of your perceived value of the car.

But good luck with the sale none the less.

Oh yeah, now I remember, 150K. Good luck!

I'm going to throw this out there....for you @skyman51
If you were to continually post good looking pictures of your car in various poses and locations, you will eventually find that car popping up on the internet ...and that is how you will reach a potential buyer who wants YOUR car. Most of us here at FBBO know you have the car, but either don't have the cash to buy it at where you need the price to be, or are looking for something else completely different.

Posting threads about how much you think the car is worth or how under-valued you think they are, without any pictures, is actually doing you a disservice. This is written as friendly advice, not as an attack. :)

Mate unfortunately you aren't facing the facts. It's always worse for us enthusiasts who always have higher expectations than others. The market is the market and at the moment it isn't favourable to these cars compared to other years/makes, even though they are essentially the same. It's why a 66 Mustang coupe is worth maybe half a 66 Fastback, even if other than the roof they are the same. From my knowledge of the market I'd say $90-$100k unless you find a likeminded enthusiast with plenty of cash, which is a shame for you as your car is obviously very special.

Take the car to one of the January big name auctions and you'll find out real quick what it's worth. I think in one of your previous posts the car came from RK Motors? Why not ask them to consign it again. They got the money once.

I Call it the "herd" mentality.
For example, there is NO DOUBT whatsoever the 1967 GTX is a "Landmark" automobile.
1. Boldly thrust in GMs face, you want a GTO. Ha Ha, Here is a GTX
2. One year only style, first year of car.
3. Only 2 engine options...BIG & BIGGER. (440 and the Mighty Hemi)
4. NO GM muscle car could beat the 1967 GTX on the street. Period (1967). (Remember, a 66 or 67 427 Vette is NOT a Muscle Car)
5. Plymouth, with Richard Petty proved the Body Style on the NASCAR circuit.
6. Upgrade interior, 150 MPH speed-o, Bucket style back seats.

What does this mean?
Simply put, a truly outstanding, highly desirable Muscle Car
But a RESTO MOD 1969 Camaro WILL pill in more money at the correct auction
Why?
Simply put: "Idiots"

Your Hemi Car is $80K + all day long.
PICs please?

Thank you! I totally agree with all your points. I would not even consider selling it for 80+K

Its awesome to hear that you don't need the money. And its always terrible to hear some jerk flipper has something (anything) that he would gladly cut a profit off of your longtime efforts to preserve something of historical value. So where do you go from here?? museum?? some mega rich guys collection where it will be preserved properly?? What would Jay Leno do??

I am not a mega rich guy but I gave up a lot to buy this particular car five years ago!

Again,thank you all. This gem will stay in the garage. I guess it will be my wife or daughter who will sell it. This is the second time I have owned this car. I had sellers remorse as soon as I sold it the first time, all because of the money. I bought it back a couple years later and I paid dearly to get it. The guy I sold it to did not want to sell it. I really twisted his arm.

Again,thank you all. This gem will stay in the garage. I guess it will be my wife or daughter who will sell it. This is the second time I have owned this car. I had sellers remorse as soon as I sold it the first time, all because of the money. I bought it back a couple years later and I paid dearly to get it. The guy I sold it to did not want to sell it. I really twisted his arm.
We need to find another you. :D

Auto Transport Service
Back