• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear axle housing

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
Man, seems like it's always this and that, never ends. Anyway, my 71 RR with a 8 3/4 axle was bent at one time. The guy that rebuild the rear with new gears, true-track, etc in it had to cut and straighten and weld it to make it true. Well, I guess there's a leak around the weld and at the third member. My car has very little miles on it. A friend of mine ran into someone who has a 72 Charger with a 8 3/4. He wants to get it for me(I'm deployed right now). My question is they're the same rear, right? I wanted him to get some measurements but he hasn't yet. I mean I should just be able to swap from the old to the other if I have him get it, correct? Sorry for the long post. Thanks

That's what I thought but my OCD needed confirmation. THANKS!

Keep in mind that the 72 axle may not be true. It might need to be straightened as well. Could it be better to have yours rewelded? All he has to do is grind out the leaky spot and run a new bead.

Auto Transport Service
Back