• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear axle shafts

Jc cooper

Second gear fun!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
In my 67 Gtx 8.750 rear diff , is it common to have at least one shaft (passenger side) to have an original axle shaft bent to cause axle and wheel wobble ?

No. They shouldn't be bent. It's probably a wheel.

Sometimes someone hotdogging can spin out and get up against a curb but that generally bends a wheel...and it doesn't take all that much to do it but when an axle gets bent, it's usually because of a crash.

Sometimes someone hotdogging can spin out and get up against a curb but that generally bends a wheel...and it doesn't take all that much to do it but when an axle gets bent, it's usually because of a crash.

Yea ,cranky that sounds very possible, will get back to you! Thanks have a good prairie dog day !

Have you had the axle out and can see that it's actually bent?
Somebody correct me but doesn't the right side of an 8 3/4 have an end play adjuster? Have you checked that? It should be around .010 as I remember.
Also have you checked the wheel bearing?

Swap wheels side to side and recheck. Mark the wheels L & R first so you dont loose track of them.

what kind of wheels? thick flange With shouldered lug nuts or unilugs can mount up wrong and wobble.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back