• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Axle Studs

Bob Jordan

Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
I know that the FRONT wheel studs need to be removed carefully because of the swaging and I will let someone else do that. Are the REAR studs swaged or can I knock them right out of the axle flange. 1964 Sport Fury. Thanks!

There is no harm or danger in knocking out the front studs. Actually they're knurled, not swaged.

With the swaged ones you can carefully grind off the swages with an angle grinder and they'll come out.

There is no harm or danger in knocking out the front studs. Actually they're knurled, not swaged.
You are incorrect sir many people have wrecked hubs by not cutting out the swage first with the cutting tool . After that yes, just knurled press into place.

A 1964 8 3/4 will have swaged studs, unless they have been modified.
Thank you. I'm sure it's never been modified. I noticed that the replacement studs are not splined so that makes sense. The new ones will have to be swaged on?

I did not know the early rears were swaged! Good info. Not many people run the 2 piece axles.
These are the proper studs for factory rear axles.. not sure about 65 and down now.
They do not need to be swaged, that was to hold the drum on.
20220521_101252.jpg

Agree with above. I would not swage them. Google hotrodsandhemis, there is an article with pictures on that site.

If you remove studs from from hubs the hubs need to be supported from underneath. Not supporting hub could cause hub to become warpped. There are usually 4 places at the base of threads that need some grinding.

drumray7.jpg

drumray8.jpg

Questions not asked yet. Is it the original type tapered axle? Are the drums and hubs connected like factory? Or does the drum slide off the hub?

The rear axle is original as are the front drums and hubs. The studs are all excellent so I will just leave it alone for now and remember the LH thread on the LH side. Thanks for the replies!

Auto Transport Service
Back