• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear brakes smoking?? 69 GTX

Lineman

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
I can give some background.. This car inadvertently turned out to be my winter project sorry to say.. When I re-did the dash and wiring I also updated the power brake booster (with the booster from inline tube and linkage) and master cyl. and brake lines to the proportioning valve.

I bled the brakes yesterday but couldn't pull any fluid thru the rear with vacuum. In fact I never really seemed to get air out of the rear but once i got the front bled and some pedal then I finally got some fluid coming with the old pump method.. all seemed to be fine.. Finally but keep in mind I never felt the rear never bled right..

On the test drive to get some gas about a 8 mile round trip, about half way I noticed the car might be dragging.. At the gas station I smelled something enough I thought I better maybe go back to the house and when I got home the rear brakes were smoking. About 2.5 miles from the house on the way back I got a "Brakes" light on the dash.

So what does all this add up to you?? thanks for the help..

Rear brake hose swelled up inside, not letting the brakes release. I had this on a Dodge pickup once...

Oh, I forgot to add.. I put the car back in the shop of the evening, and everything seemed fine.. nothing hanging up..

The rear brake hose is my first go to item on non-bleeding rear brakes.

If not the rear brake hose try loosening the bolts securing the M/C to the booster, if the pushrod adjustment is a little long. the rear brake compensating port can get covered & it'll do just what your experiencing...

Try vacuum bleeding again, if you have fluid flow take the M/C off & shorten the pushrod.... Then reassembled & tighten the nuts securing the M/C to the booster..

Auto Transport Service
Back