• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear bumper filler (center) on 73/74 RR, anyone install one recently?????

idrivemopar

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone recently put on a new rear bumper filler, the center section, on their 73/74 Roadrunner?

I did a dry fit, but the gap that goes over the bumper doesn't seem wide enough and the thing wants to back off the bumper. Not sure if adhesive will help keep this from happening, however, there's not a real good way to keep it in position until the adhesive dries.

Any advice?

This is the new reproduction part and is it made same as OE
As the OE one has a metal lock tooth to hold it on
Bruce

Its a reproduction, and no, not like OE, does not have the metal part of it, so not sure how well its gonna work, its a restoration specialties part, nice quality, but I think I might have a hard time getting it to stay on. I don't think anyone else is making the center section.

so you may have to remove bumper so you can make a jig to hold in place well the glue sets

hope it works out let us know what you did and how it turned out

Bruce

it's been a couple of years but if i remember correctly my filler just slipped over the Bumper lip with the Trunk open. No adhesive used however i have to check it every now and then to make sure it hasn't slipped off. Texas heat also makes it soft during the summer.View attachment IMG_0434.jpg

Hey 440runner, do you remember where you purchased yours?

I believe it was on Ebay and came from a guy around the Atlanta area. When i get a chance i'll see if i can find the info.

Well, I got mine installed, used 3m super adhesive double sided tape. We shall see how long that lasts, was recommended by the vendor to use.

Here is what she looks like.
20140519_184819small.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20140519_184837small.jpg

What is the bad image in the rear bumper :icon_fU:

looks great better than when it was new

it's been a couple of years but if i remember correctly my filler just slipped over the Bumper lip with the Trunk open. No adhesive used however i have to check it every now and then to make sure it hasn't slipped off. Texas heat also makes it soft during the summer.View attachment 187866

Ditto.

Looks like your bumper may be out too far. The center filler should be touching the end of the trunk outer lip and works to hold it in.

I still remember it from when my dad bought the satellite that, eventually, I got it and painted red!!!! That's how I installed mine and it holds fine because it has nowhere to go!

So the originals were held n place because they had a piece of spring metal that ran the distance of the gap that slid over the bumper. New reproductions don't have that and the guys that make them also told me if the bumper was rechromed theirs don't stay in place because the bumper is thicker and recommend using double sided tape. So mine doesn't touch the trunk lip either. There's about a quarter inch gap. So this will have to do for now until or if someone makes a better one.

Auto Transport Service
Back