• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear driver side brake lights stop working.

Dakotaacres

Local time
10:03 AM
Reaction score
Any suggestions on where to start to fine the problem?
thanks

IMG_9830.jpg

I would start checking ground wires etc

Does the turn signal work correctly on that side? If so for sure the turn signal switch.

Well now when I move the charger the left brake lights started working again. What the heck...

Your turn signal switch contacts are probably corroded & moving the T/S switch lever allows marginal contact to occur... As others have mentioned the switch is going away... But the aftermarket replacements are junk & NOS is big $$$$ so you might want to see if anyone is restoring them.. I know JS Restorations was doing them but I think he might have pulled back from doing them... That said, might try calling him..

Electrical Components
Jim Slotts (JS Restorations)

turning switch is a matrix for the rear lights... including brakes. Having turning is a sign the wiring is good, but turning switch is not alowing to feed the left side lights while turning switch is in rest position. Could be just the canceling cam section, not the whole switch. Replacement piece is available for it.

1659186465204.jpeg

Last edited:
Clean it before replacing. This stuff dries without residue. I would start by hosing it without removing anything but the horn button.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with my Charger turn signal lever not returning all the way to center after being cancelled. Problem turned out to be when I painted the steering column, the paint was binding the pivot point on the turn signal lever. Could that be your problem?

I had the same issue with my Charger turn signal lever not returning all the way to center after being cancelled. Problem turned out to be when I painted the steering column, the paint was binding the pivot point on the turn signal lever. Could that be your problem?
I haven't touched the column...yet.
thanks

Your turn signal switch contacts are probably corroded & moving the T/S switch lever allows marginal contact to occur... As others have mentioned the switch is going away... But the aftermarket replacements are junk & NOS is big $$$$ so you might want to see if anyone is restoring them.. I know JS Restorations was doing them but I think he might have pulled back from doing them... That said, might try calling him..

Electrical Components
Jim Slotts (JS Restorations)
I wondered about the aftermarket junk out there.

Yes, points inside the turning switch assembly could be getting worn due the regular use, hence the canceling cam replacement will elongate the whole turning switch life, still with the switch housing points some worn.

Could be refilled with tin/lead? Maybe, but tin is a soft metal which won't last long enough with the use/friction. Brass is the key to hold the use. New brass points/rivets to replace existants? Dunno if they could be available from the shelf at some electrical supplier shop.

Pull the steering wheel in give it a shot of WD-40 or electrical cleaner. You may get a little more life out of it.

Auto Transport Service
Back