• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear end hopping during turns

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my car back from some suspension upgrades and I've been driving my car off and on the last few days. Just prior to that I changed my rear gears in my 8-3/4 suregrip to 3.55's and I'm breaking in the gears, taking it easy and no faster than 40mph for the first 500 miles. I have about 125 miles on the new gears so far. I have 275/60/15 in the rear and 235/60/15 in the front. My problem is, when turning corners at under 15 mph, the rear end hops around and squeals the tires like crazy! I also have new rear leaf springs (Hotchkis) and new shocks all around. I called the rear end place that set up the gears and they said it's no big deal and to just turn left and right to get the bands inside lubricated. I'm supposed to go back in at 500 miles to get them to change the gear oil out.

Is this normal? Is it related to my large rear tires with the small fronts? It doesn't feel normal and it's like the new gears are way too tight. Any feedback from others out there with new gears in a suregrip?

Dump some Chrysler Sure-Grip additive in the rear end, even if the shop already put some in. Sounds like the clutches are a bit tight.

If everything is new including the clutches, if they (clutches) weren't soaked long enough prior to being installed that is what is causing the binding.
The clutches are acting tight, what you can do is go in a parking lot and make some fig 8's, not fast, you want to have the oil work in so just off idle fig 8's..

Last Power Lock I built I lubed everything up real good before putting it together and it still acted too tight. If it keeps it up, you might have to pull it apart to make sure it was built right. If one of the plates were put in backwards, it may never loosen up...

I rebuilt mine about 3 years ago and have not had it on the road yet. But when the car is being pushed the tires chirp on any, and I mean any turn. It almost acts like a spool, but I used the heavy duty clutch rebuild kit, so hopefully when I get to drive it it will break in so to speak.

I've used STP with good results too....odd as it may seem....it worked.

If everything is new including the clutches, if they (clutches) weren't soaked long enough prior to being installed that is what is causing the binding.
The clutches are acting tight, what you can do is go in a parking lot and make some fig 8's, not fast, you want to have the oil work in so just off idle fig 8's..

I picked up some of the Mopar friction modifier lubricant yesterday and monday I'm going to add some to the differential and then I'll be doing some figure 8's if the rain stays away...300 miles later I'm back to the gear shop to drain and change the fluid and I'll have them add more Mopar lubricant as well. Hopefully things will be normal by then. I'll let you know how things turn out.

If that doesn't help, the pressure plates could be either in the wrong end of the clutch pack or backwards.

I picked up some of the Mopar Suregrip friction lubricant and added 2 bottles, and it still wasn't completely full, so I had my mechanic top it off with 80/90 grease like what the rear end shop put in there and the problem is solved!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

When I get the gear oil changed in 300 more miles, I'll be sure to give them a bottle to add in the beginning and one to top it off at the end.

Auto Transport Service
Back