• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear end noise 8 3/4

67belv1

Local time
11:02 PM
Reaction score
i have narrowed a grinding noise down to coming from rear end area of car. It is a grinding noise. When it first started in my drive yesterday I originally thought it the exhaust dropped and started dragging. Not the case. Blocked car up and it makes the noise while in forward and reverse but goes away when I pop it in to neutral with wheels still going around. Ideas?

Post a video?

If you suspect the rear end I would drop the center section out for an inspection and see if there’s a bunch of metal flake. If it sounds like dragging exhaust it won’t be hard to figure out what the problem is. You may do more damage continuing to run it and diagnose, if it sounds that bad.

Ah, got a sound example. How loud is it? Something came apart in the rear brakes? It's an easy check too.

I read your post, are you sure it's in the rear end ? Sometimes sounds can migrate. It seems odd it only does it under load with tranny in gear and does it both forward and reverse. Does the sound completely go away when in netrual or just get quieter ? It kinda seems like maybe a rear bearing but it's not a howl, it's a grinding and if it's a bearing that bad of condition it won't stop grinding even if not under load.

I read your post, are you sure it's in the rear end ? Sometimes sounds can migrate. It seems odd it only does it under load with tranny in gear and does it both forward and reverse. Does the sound completely go away when in netrual or just get quieter ? It kinda seems like maybe a rear bearing but it's not a howl, it's a grinding and if it's a bearing that bad of condition it won't stop grinding even if not under load.
That's why I started with converter bolts. Throwing darts now but still wouldn't hurt to pull the drums off and start looking at things. Probably not brake related but some times other things show up when you start looking at the easy stuff first.

It sure seems like it’s coming from rear end area. I pulled the drive shaft and blocked up rear of car. The wheels go from turning freely to feeling like brakes are on about 2-3 different places in 1 full rotation of the tire. Seems like bearing may be it but not sure at this point. Differential is full of fluid. Never tore apart a rear so any advice welcomed.

It sure seems like it’s coming from rear end area. I pulled the drive shaft and blocked up rear of car. The wheels go from turning freely to feeling like brakes are on about 2-3 different places in 1 full rotation of the tire. Seems like bearing may be it but not sure at this point. Differential is full of fluid. Never tore apart a rear so any advice welcomed.
Drums are very seldom totally true/round even after machining them. If you hear the shoes dragging lightly in the free area then drag harder to where you have to grunt to turn the drum, you can back off the adjuster a few clicks. That will usually allow you to turn things more easily. I'm one to take the adjusters off since I was drag racing dang near everything I owned.....

Pull the drums and turn the axles. If you still have a couple of tight spots, it ring/pinion.

Probably the crush sleeve, but not sure what case you have.

89's have a crush sleeve but generally when the crush sleeve compresses for whatever reason, it'll start knocking teeth off of the ring gear and that usually doesn't make much sound until things get really bad. How much drive shaft slack do you have? 1/8 of a turn is too much.....but if that's happening, there will generally be more slack in some areas than others.

I like going step by step easy to hard. 1st ck u joint 2nd ck brakes 3rd ck wheel brgs 4th pull pig
jmo
Gary

For some reason video was not available. Reloaded now so should’ve good
This is the sound I get when I turn the axle by hand from rear end. How bad does it sound?

Last edited:
Pull the axles then turn the yoke and listen to hear if you have the same noise. If still present, pulling the case is in order and a tear down if nothing jumps at ya.

Holy crap just watched the video lol. Pop the drums but I doubt that noise is coming from the brakes. At least you'll be one step closer to pulling the axles. That definitely sounds like something broke in the differential. I wonder if a spider gear let loose.

Crazy sounds from that!! Doesn't sound like anything from the brakes either. Imo, time to pull the chunk out.....

Auto Transport Service
Back