• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear End Noise ?

Jeff 69

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
I have a 67 Coronet R/T 440, auto.At 40 MPH I have a noise coming from my rear end and at 45 it goes away. No noise before 40 MPH No noise after 45. Any help ?

Thanks Jeff

Check and see how much slop you have with it jacked up. Also check axle play in and out. Possible that you have some worn out bearings or gears. Check your U-joints too.

Thank you for the tips.
I just had new GREEN Bearings put in . Sounds like my gears are not set up right. ( Just had a guy put new gears in )
Could this be the problem ?

I would have him double check his work. Sounds like you are correct about the gears.

Rear end noise ? Ate too many beans.............. Just a question, why the switch to the weaker Green bearings ?

A guy here in FL who has 6 mopars told me that's he uses. Soy I listen to him.. Are green bearing BAD to use ?

Thank you.

Gentlemen,
GREEN axle bearings.....how sad. The noise just might be because of excessive axle end play which now cannot be adjusted out. Or possible the ring gear with too much clearances or pinion depth setting too far away. However, if you just replaced just the axle bearings and did not change the differential bearings look to that part. BTW...is this an 8-3/4" unit or a Dana 60?
Bob Renton

Gentlemen,
GREEN axle bearings.....how sad. The noise just might be because of excessive axle end play which now cannot be adjusted out. Or possible the ring gear with too much clearances or pinion depth setting too far away. However, if you just replaced just the axle bearings and did not change the differential bearings look to that part. BTW...is this an 8-3/4" unit or a Dana 60?
Bob Renton

Tell us your experience with sealed bearings Bob.

Kryslerkid,
I'm a mechanical engineer, who designs and applies bearing and power transmission components in industrial applications. "Green" style bearings (single row ball bearings-not duplex angular contact bearings) are fine for applications requiring radial load and modest axial load capabilities, subject to the selected bearing's design limitations. I've asked b4, what is the Green bearings AFRBM (American Federation of Roller Bearing Manufacturers) catalog number to be able to logically compare the two bearing's design data.
As l mentioned in previously discussed responses to this same question, I'll only use TIMKEN (or SKF, TOYO, equilivants) tapered roller bearings in my car. What do you is totally up to you. Green Bearings are reported to be less costly.....so what. How much less? Is it $5.00 or $20. or ?? For my money, I'll stick to what Mopar designed and installed. How much $$ are you saving compared to tapered roller bearings? Since the both bearing assemblies is retained on the axle with the interference fit retaining sleeve, what is the perception that the Green Bearings are better? Is it the installation method or is it cost or they are sealed and lubricated for "life" (whose life...the bearing's life or yours)? I restate my opinion....."you pay your money and take your choice"..... I have no real objection to Green Bearings.....just not on my car.

Having installed green bearings on my car a few years ago for the purported maintenance advantages only, had I known then what I know later, I would have stayed with what I had. I put in a 65 axle set up on my '63 some 15 years ago taking out the old tapered axles. What's being said here is what I didn't like hearing about green bearings - side load issues. Then again, I drive my car maybe 500 miles in a year and guys had posted they've had green's in for thousands of miles with no issue. I agree with RJ here, shoulda left well enough alone and will be double checking my *** end to monitor function...

Does the rear end make noise during accel, decel, or steady throttle or does it matter?

And it's funny how Ford used a single row ball bearing in their rear ends for a lot years. Yes, the tapered roller bearings are better but the ball bearing set up on a car isn't junk either. If you run a disc brake setup on the rear, you just about have to use a ball setup unless you want to do something expensive to not use them. RJ, do you have hands on experience with the types of bearings you have mentioned? I'm no 'ingoneer' but I've had lots of years experience working with bearings.....

Auto Transport Service
Back