• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REAR END QUESTION

zigs

Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
I have two rear ends #1 is a 64 Belvedere 8 3/4 clutch style sure grip (355)
#2 is an Abody 8 3/4 cone style sure grip (323). I want to swap the two third members
any problems here. The Belvedere has the adjustable right hand axle. I want to switch just the third members not the axles

I forgot to mention, due to too many beers, that you may have to buy conversion u-joints, if they are different on each third member.

Thanks that's what I thought just making sure. I didn't know if the inner roll pins would have anything to do with it.

The thrust spacers are a different design between the clutch and cone sure grips, but they are the same length.

The thrust spacers are a different design between the clutch and cone sure grips, but they are the same length.
Can the thrust washers be reused. I dont remember them being in the abody cone member

The spacer in the cone unit can't fall out. The spider gear pin goes through the middle of it. The spacer has a slotted hole in it so it can slide back and forth a little.

The spacer in the cone unit can't fall out. The spider gear pin goes through the middle of it. The spacer has a slotted hole in it so it can slide back and forth a little.
Thanks. Its been awhile since I put them in for got how I did it.

'64 Belvedere would have taper axles originally.

You are putting the cone type in and taking the clutch type out ? If so, why ? The clutch type is the superior one.

You are putting the cone type in and taking the clutch type out ? If so, why ? The clutch type is the superior one.
Exactly. 355 are in my Duster with clutch style. I want them in my Dart. Selling the Duster

Auto Transport Service
Back