• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear main seal on LA318

megaivtes

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
I'm 2 years post engine engine rebuild and realize after spending alot of time under car chasing what I thought was oil sender, oil pan, oil filter leaks....that its been my rear main seal since rebuild.
I believe rubber Fel-Pro was used by machine shop. i'm wondering if he installed upper with lip backwards.
Should I go with the Fel-Pro again or have others had better sealing success with other manufactures?
1654695020548.png

The seal may or may not have been installed properly, but if you go back in, re-install with a Fel-Pro seal. That is all I use, and they are superior to other manufacturers and definitely better that any gimmicky one-piece seal. Pay attention to the install instructions, cleanliness, and good sealer will do the best job for you.

Weeeeeeeeeeell, there is a one piece seal available & only has one end that can leak. The one above has two ends that can leak.
I will leave it up to you to work out which is less likely to leak....

Weeeeeeeeeeell, there is a one piece seal available & only has one end that can leak. The one above has two ends that can leak.
I will leave it up to you to work out which is less likely to leak....
I've never seen a one piece seal. Which manufacturer?
I've also seen this 4 piece from Hughes Engines...
1654771893737.png

I will suggest you re-read my post, and pay particular attention to this part "...definitely better that any gimmicky one-piece seal...". That is, if you only want to do it once more.

Meg,
I think the name is Cuda Fish or something with Fish in the name. I think he is in Fl.

I have used many one piece silicon seals [ brown colour ] & have never had a failure.

Auto Transport Service
Back