• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Main Seal - sealing things up

Car #4

Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
I'm replacing the rear main seal on a 440. I bought a new seal retainer from Mancini that has a double seal on each side rather than a single one like the original. I plan on using a little red RTV silicone on the retainer as well. There is a windage tray and I'll be using a Fel-pro 1834 gasket above and below it. Do I put the pan, tray and gaskets back on dry or should I use a sealant like Permatex Ultra Black, Right stuff or RTV? I'm a little concerned about the area where the rms retainer is, the transition from block to retainer wasn't super smooth with the original retainer. I haven't tried the new one yet so don't know what that will be like. I'm open to any tips or suggestions, this is my first time doing this.

There is a full main seal thread available. Take care.

I use Permatex number two when putting gaskets together. Helps seal but is non hardening. Cleans up a little easier when you need to pull stuff apart and put it back together.

Auto Transport Service
Back