• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Quarter Window Mechanism Removal

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
GRRRRRR! I need some help Please! I am trying to remove the mechanism that cranks the rear windows up and down in my 68 GTX. I have the windows out, but the crank assembly and linkage just doesn't seem to be able to fit out the top where the window came out, or the large opening in the bottom of the inside well. Someone who worked on the assembly line has to know "The little tricks"? Thanks everyone.

By no means a "factory line worker', but have fought this battle before. It's a lot easier with the factory service manual. Here are some pics from my '68 FSM, I don't have it on a disc, so this is as good as I can do. Good luck!....

Attachments

• DSCN5030.jpg
    DSCN5030.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 657
  • DSCN5031.jpg
    DSCN5031.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 660
  • DSCN5033.jpg
    DSCN5033.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 620
  • DSCN5034.jpg
    DSCN5034.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 695
  • DSCN5036.jpg
    DSCN5036.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 649
Quarter window mechanism

Thank's for the quick response and the great pics! I have the same Plymouth Service Manual and I wish the opening in the lower interrior part of the panel were as big as the one in the book! I could fit through there. My opening is much smaller, and yes, it is a 1968 GTX. The mechanism is too wide to come out of the same opening that the glass came out. I wonder if I have to break it down further to get it out? I hope not, because I have to put it together some day!

Attachments

• 20120519_111852.jpg
    20120519_111852.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 686
I just did this on my 69 RoadRunner- they will come out through the top! I removed the glass tops, slides, and everything else in there and the mechanism last. I then put it all together again outside the car so I will remember how it goes together when I reassemble it all. Taking pictures is a big help also.

You pretty much have to disassemble it INSIDE the quarter panel, then remove it. The key is removing the regulator from the glass bracket, by removing the spring clips attaching regulator to glass bracket (circled in pic below). As you disassemble everything, as MoparBill said the glass, glass bracket, run channels, all come out from the top, then you can remove the regulator from the big hole at the bottom.

Good luck,
Jason

Attachments

• DSCN5030.jpg
    DSCN5030.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 625
The bottom Hole. I seeeeee!

O.K., I think i've got it. I can take anything apart on a car and put it together except four speed transmissions and window linkages, . . . up to now. Thanks for the tips!
I will finish taking it apart next weekend. Wish me luck.

They are all right. Take the glass out and break it down. You think it is hard coming out. Wait till you put it in without trying to scratch your car. Dont forget to put in new wiskers ( this is the time to do that ). Good luck.

O.K., I think i've got it. I can take anything apart on a car and put it together except four speed transmissions and window linkages, . . . up to now. Thanks for the tips!

The rear window mechanisms on my convertable have been the most frusterating thing on any Mopar I have worked on. Mine had been monkeyed with by someone who took it apart caveman style. He broke the rollers and lost some of the hardware, I found bits and pieces in the bottom of the window well. The parts for the hardtop are available and I would recommend replacing everything you can get and doing it right the first time. I put mine back as best I could with what I could get and will have to revist this crime scene again as the glass still won't seal or go up and down worth a crap. Good luck with yours.

After you do one quarter window and realize how it works/goes together, you will be an expert! After I got mine back together, I was installing the window crank, and the dang allen screw broke off! I tried eaze-outs, drilling out broken screw to no avail...had to find/buy another regulator, took only a few minutes to change it out.

I had to take apart/reassemble the 4 speed in the 73 rallye I had.... it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, I'd rather work on a manual than an automatic now.

Jason

I hope you get it figured out. I swapped out my crank windows for power windows and couldn't figure out how to do it. I ended up waiting until I had the quarter panels off, then it was real easy. :)

-=Photon440=-

everything else

Yeah, I have the roller assemblies that need replacing. At $80-$90 Bucks for both sides, i tried to shop around and even went to Dorman to see if i could go that way but it seems that they don't make them for my car. I've got new "fuzzies" for everything! Rubbing compound got on the rollers years ago and they are really hard to turn. the plastic rollers are cracked and yes, I wish i could buy a complete kit for the front and back. As far as the broken allen cap screw goes, they do make left-hand drill bits that you can drill screws out with and when they loosen up they unscrew right out! Look in a Granger or MSC catalog.

Auto Transport Service
Back