• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear shock upper mounts

Bigfoots N Mopars

Local time
11:59 PM
Reaction score
I'm installing my Super Stock springs in my 1968 Satellite. Previously I switched the stock shocks with air shocks as a bandaid to get me to this point.

That was a real PIA. The upper shock mounts had 2 washers, one each side of the shock upper bushing. Maybe it’s me but took forever to push the 2 washers and the shock mount into the mounting brace at the same time to thread the mounting bolt through and tighten up.

Without the washers the shock moves around. Is this due to a aging 1968 car, or did theses mounting braces always require washers...

It’s too loose without them, too tight to fit them in...in less than 6 hours each side

I am a novice, so it’s probably me, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

I have never used washers.......Are you sure you have correct shocks?......Are the bolts bottoming out?

Just a bolt and a nut, not even washers on the outside... although it probably would have been smart for MaMopar to have used some, but hey if you can save 8 cents per car.. lol

I have never used washers.......Are you sure you have correct shocks?......Are the bolts bottoming out?

They look like this, the bottom bushings are thick, the top has the metal sleeve extending past rubber, and is narrower than the bottom.

87272779-6CD3-4B1A-A6AA-B0B68ACE3E67.jpeg

Just a bolt and a nut, not even washers on the outside... although it probably would have been smart for MaMopar to have used some, but hey if you can save 8 cents per car.. lol

I tried without the washers inside the mounting brace and seems to clunk and wiggle.

Correct bolts and shank length so they tighten up before bottoming the threads? No reason the shock bulkhead shouldn't pull in tight to the shock head if the smooth shank section is the correct length.
beerestoration2018 781.JPG

Correct bolts and shank length so they tighten up before bottoming the threads? No reason the shock bulkhead shouldn't pull in tight to the shock head if the smooth shank section is the correct length.
View attachment 830554
I have a feeling the bolts are not like the original style and bottom out....Also the rear shocks have the same size ends and his do not per his post.....

Thanks guys, I bought the bolts and the lower washers! See if it is the cure for my issue!

How thick are the washers you are trying to use? Maybe try some thinner washers or just one washer and not two. I would also use a local nut and bolt supplier or hardware store for the washers, will be way cheaper and can measure the thickness for you if you don't have any vernier calipers.

Could be the bolt thread bottom out. Or the fact it had the 2 inner washers and it had washers on both outer bolt/nut taking up the thread depth. 4 washers add up quick. Anyways, work the next 4 nights will be able to compare next week. Will try to update if I find out.

Might also be the shock manufacturer trying to cover more applications with a shock that is a tad thin
on the spec, too.

Well the upper shock bolts were shorter with more thread depth, and I got a pair of shocks the had more rubber bushings on the top mount. Super easy fit and install! Got the Springs and shocks in, now just getting the new tank in. Thanks to all that responded!

12B18F26-7220-4696-A332-12193F95AA20.jpeg 8806275C-1939-4575-836B-5A55A16F1BE0.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back