• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Shocks

JPrusinows

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:41 AM
Reaction score
The more things change the more they stay the same! Trying to figure out somebody else's (previous owner and builder) work is always a pleasure.

Just put new shocks on the rear of the car I bought a few months ago and I swear its sitting up at least two inches higher.

Put a set of KYB KG5512 Gas-a-Just Gas Shock on and it raised the back end up? Not the look I was going for. Is it possible the shocks are too long and raised the *** end up?

I have Super Stock Springs and have the torsion bars cranked up for that old school high in the front attitude and I just killed it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jeff

It probably mentions this in the literature that came with the shocks, but new gas shocks will tend to make the car
sit up a little until they've had a chance to break in some - and those Gas-A-Justs have 30% higher pressure, according
to the KYB website.
Hopefully they'll settle down some once you get some miles on them.

Ed,
Hope you are correct sir. Good research! Ill keep you posted.
Jeff

I agree with moparedtn, I too am in the process of doing a 63 Belvedere old school stance. Looking at the black 62 in your avitar I don't see how that is done with factory suspension. I am running 29'' rear tires with Eaton Detroit Springs rear springs with a 2'' drop and 100lbs increase for weight. My T bars are wound up and the upper control arms are at the limit with with the bump stops removed.Ive left about 3/8'' travel for the control arms to have some movement. Front tires are pie cutters 165/80/15.
The darn thing sits dang near level. :BangHead: I will be playing with the camber/caster settings to even out the wheels. Right now they are negative 3/8* planning on setting them to 0*. Don't have any photos but :mad:Not happy with results....Once I get it on the road I'll be looking at getting some taller front tires.

I agree with moparedtn, I too am in the process of doing a 63 Belvedere old school stance. Looking at the black 62 in your avitar I don't see how that is done with factory suspension. I am running 29'' rear tires with Eaton Detroit Springs rear springs with a 2'' drop and 100lbs increase for weight. My T bars are wound up and the upper control arms are at the limit with with the bump stops removed.Ive left about 3/8'' travel for the control arms to have some movement. Front tires are pie cutters 165/80/15.
The darn thing sits dang near level. :BangHead: I will be playing with the camber/caster settings to even out the wheels. Right now they are negative 3/8* planning on setting them to 0*. Don't have any photos but :mad:Not happy with results....Once I get it on the road I'll be looking at getting some taller front tires.

Try some 16” studabaker rims in the fronts. Old school trick.

558D63B0-A5D0-4651-BA5F-8257F22565D2.jpeg B4C18091-5292-4209-A1B4-CCFB07D510D4.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back