• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear shocks

bearman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
Question is do the rear shocks work better straight up and down or in the stock location. I see 4link and ladder bars the shocks straight up and everything else are at a angle. Give me the reason why I would think the straight up would be better for load transfer. I can see the angle is good for sway and road car. Need a education thanks for the help.

Think of diagonal bracing holding a wall up... an angled shock on the rear helps keep the springs from rolling sideways when cornering.

Typically shock straight up with ladder bars or 4-link are drag racing setups. Not good for much else.

Ok so if I'm going to do the 1320 the straight up would be better for traction control and load transfer. Corning will not be I'll be doing.

Ok but yet I look at the pro street type and it's straight up. Which I get because of the race look. But the real value is that straight up is best in the race and is a great look for a pro streeter. Now for the next question why don't the race car with ss springs run the shocks straight up.

Ok but yet I look at the pro street type and it's straight up. Which I get because of the race look. But the real value is that straight up is best in the race and is a great look for a pro streeter. Now for the next question why don't the race car with ss springs run the shocks straight up.

Because they were just modified OEM cars and costs were a factor and drag race sanctioning body rules probably had rules prohibiting too many changes in suspensions.
Mike

Thanks Mike, how do you have your rears. Stock location or straight up

With the same shock, straight up will permit more suspension travel and will seem slightly stiffer. With the exception of getting more suspension travel (from the shock length), I don't really see that it would make a lot of difference. You could also move the lower mounting point to the front of the axle to possibly better dampen axle twist-if your rear squats at launch. If it rises, you are likely better served with the shocks mounted to the rear of the axle. As far as drag racing, I have only considered the rear shock in terms of not limiting suspension travel by bottoming or topping out, but my only experience is with leaf spring suspensions.

Auto Transport Service
Back