• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Sway bar poor install?

71_Duster

Local time
10:44 AM
Reaction score
This sway bar was on the rear of my 67' Belvedere when I bought it. I THINK it's an Addco/Direct Connection one.

Is it the right bar or just mounted wrong? It been rubbing on the rear of the differential housing and there has been an attempt to space it away.
IMG_3131.jpgIMG_3132.jpgIMG_3133.jpgIMG_3134.jpgIMG_3135.jpg

I would try flipping it over so it curves down under the rear and not up into it.

It’s an Addco /MP rear sway bar

It’s pulled too forward. Notice the C-clamp are angled forward.

Rotate it back. Then reposition the frame mount rearward. AND finally, you’ll need longer sway bar end link bolt and spacer sleeves. Set the length of the links so that the frame eyelet hole and sway bar end eyelet holes are as close to parallel as possible.

Autoxcuda is right. I unbolted it and printed out the instructions from Addco. The bar was too far forward by about 2-3 inches. Re-drilled the holes for the bolts in the subframe and got the end links vertical. Length was good for the links still.

Autoxcuda is right. I unbolted it and printed out the instructions from Addco. The bar was too far forward by about 2-3 inches. Re-drilled the holes for the bolts in the subframe and got the end links vertical. Length was good for the links still.

Glad it worked out without needing longer links. The frame rails start to move upward in that area the more it's moved back. I worried that it might end up angling the sway bar upward. But wasn't that bad.

Ideally when the link bushings are snugged down on the sway bar eyelet at ride height, the top link is centered itself in the frame hole. That way the bushings aren't wedged/pinched to one size. Not likely going to get that perfect, but just try for the best.

Addco gets the award for the WORST hardware of any aftermarket suspension part. Cheap brackets, cheap bolts, poor instructions.
I had an Addco 7/8" rear sway bar in my Charger. The thickness, along with the short end links and weird mounting style had many drawbacks. Suspension travel was limited by it, the U-bolt attachments at the axle housing would move around and the car oversteered easily despite having an 1 1/4" front bar and 1.0" torsion bars.
I think that this 7/8" bar would be a better fit using rubber bushings on the end links, a better attachment method on the arms and at the axle. I switched to a frame hung 5/8" bar from an '83 Imperial. That, along with 1.15" torsion bars and Bilstein shocks made for a neutral handling car that is much more predictable.

I mean, look at this hokey setup.....The bar was great. Everything else looks like it was designed by some idiot.

34.JPG

I wasn't in love with the set-up and did look at the firm feel and a few others. However price and shipping cost I decided to try it again. I also thought about just taking it off to see what the difference was like without it.

Addco gets the award for the WORST hardware of any aftermarket suspension part. Cheap brackets, cheap bolts, poor instructions.
I had an Addco 7/8" rear sway bar in my Charger. The thickness, along with the short end links and weird mounting style had many drawbacks. Suspension travel was limited by it, the U-bolt attachments at the axle housing would move around and the car oversteered easily despite having an 1 1/4" front bar and 1.0" torsion bars.
I think that this 7/8" bar would be a better fit using rubber bushings on the end links, a better attachment method on the arms and at the axle. I switched to a frame hung 5/8" bar from an '83 Imperial. That, along with 1.15" torsion bars and Bilstein shocks made for a neutral handling car that is much more predictable.

I mean, look at this hokey setup.....The bar was great. Everything else looks like it was designed by some idiot.

View attachment 1298138
I couldn't agree more. Im about ready to throw my bar & hardware into a scrap pile. This was a sorry excuse of a sway bar. I'm going to try to use the bar I have , but I hope to use some different brackets & hardware.

Yeah....I've always thought that exhaust clamps are the way forward when installing critical suspension components.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back