• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Sway Bar Question. Frame Rail Mounts.

WS23RT

Local time
5:18 AM
Reaction score
I can buy a later B body rear sway bar but the frame rail mount looks different. I searched old threads and didn't find any info.

I plan on welding a washer in the large hole for the locating pin and redrilling the u bolt holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The top image is from the one I could buy.
FB_IMG_1635136943125.jpg
Screenshot_20211024-234056_Google.jpg

Are you putting a sway bar on a car that did not come with a factory rear sway bar? I could not find replacement bushings for my 73 rear bar when I rebuilt the suspension a couple years ago. This is what I did using generic Poly bushings, pics below.
20190725-084115.jpg

20190725-083953.jpg

20190725-080626.jpg

Are you putting a sway bar on a car that did not come with a factory rear sway bar? I could not find replacement bushings for my 73 rear bar when I rebuilt the suspension a couple years ago. This is what I did using generic Poly bushings, pics below.
View attachment 1184482
View attachment 1184483
20190725-080626.jpg

Yes. Mine is a 71. I saw a write up on another forum utilizing energy suspension pieces for new bushings. I can get the sway bar setup for $40.

I would think the mount in the top picture would need threaded inserts to attach it properly. You could weld in something.

Can't really tell by the angle, but is the "vertical" part of the bar the same length?

Could pic 2 be "just" missing the part of bracket that bolts to the frame rail?

I like mine

20200211_171846.jpg

The frame rail mount gets two pieces, the mounting bracket to frame rail for the U retainer with studs attached and the U retainer itself

Probably you could find your 71 don't have the holes for this mount on frame rails since this become a factory option since 72. I think we talked about this sometime ago, but can't recall the conclusion.

Maybe @moparmarks could confirm it

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks as if it's missing vital parts from reading your replies. I think I'll pass on it.

At $40, I'd pick it up & play with it. Any of the components could be modified to make it work. Its N/A in 71 so I assume originality isn't an issue. Any bar mounted geometrically correct will be better than no bar. If you want to add a cheap bar, the link at the bottom is the lowest cost option. Its what I have on my 71.
NOTE: this bar is made by ADDCO, and is part # addco 915. Can be gotten from Summit/jegs as well.
It mounts kinda similarly to the factory 72-4 bars.
https://www.classicindustries.com/p...-jAi0-OGLEgtT1rmqb2aR5yBRKzvixcgaAphEEALw_wcB

Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back