• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear swaybar link length aftermarket

YY1

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
Hoping to get some help or at leat the theory so I can figure it out on my own...

My 73 Sat has aftermarket sway bars. The rear bar uses the same style end links that my factory 66 front bar uses. I also see this style at the local auto parts stores, so it must be common. It's the style with a long bolt, sleeve and four rubber discs and cupped washers.

My question is this- One of the links had no rubbers in it and the bolt was bent. I Have an extra set of front links from PST. The bolt is heaver, which I like, but both the bolt and the sleeve are shorter. I see that the parts store units are available in different lenghts, but of course, they don't have the lenght I need.

So- what effect would using the shorter links have?

I've read elsewhere that the bar ends should be lavel with the ground.
I guess that makes sense. Perhaps I'll just get links that allow that allignment.
Perhaps that's why one was bent.

Wow, much longer post that I wanted...but any help appreciated.

I would buy the bolt kit that is just a little longer. Then use the old spacer as a guide and cut the new spacer down to that length. Then all you need is a bolt that has enough thread to allow you to compress the rubber the appropriate ammount.

Or buy the correct length hardened bolt, and use tubing as the spacer. cut to length with new rubber.

Thanks.

That's about what I did.

I got the ones (Energy Suspension w/ poly bushings) with a sleeve 1/8" shorter, which brought the bar ends closer to parallel with the ground, like I read. The bolts were much shorter, and an odd 1/2" multiple length. I thought the might be too short, so I stopped at Lowes and piched up a bolt that was in between the two sizs I had (the only had inch sizes, I think it was 7"). It was just barely long enough to start the nut, but it's back together and seems to be fine. The only had grade 3 in the long sizes, so if it bends I'll try to find a grade 5 (like the kit) or 8.

Looking back, I probably should have bought the kit with the correct lenght bolts and just cut the sleeve.

Thanks again.

Auto Transport Service
Back