• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REAR UNIVERSAL

Red63440

Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
I replaced the rear end and differential this past summer. The old differential had a small yoke with a sort of side bars which kept the universal caps in place. The new differential is also a small yoke but it has no retainer side bars to retain the caps. I had to purchase new retainer straps because the ones that came with the differential were to large and allowed the universal to move in the yoke. Upon inspection I found that there are no C clips on the universal on the legs that sit in the yoke. The new straps do hold it in place but I’m not sure if they can be trusted. I would appreciate some feed back on the subject just please.

Last edited:
Pictures please. You need clips on the u joint to stop it from moving side to side in the yoke. VERY IMPORTANT! If your original yoke had little tabs on the outside of the yoke then it was for a spicer type joint. The factory used that type of joint on hemi and 440 cars in 66- 67. If you have a 7260 or 7290 type joint then you need the clips for the yoke.

No they can't be trusted. You need the correct U joint for the style of yoke you have. The straps aren't the key. Some U joints use the C clip inside with the "side bars", the other has a groove in the yolk and a E ring outside of U joint cap. You can't mix & match parts.

Guess I will be replacing the joint to upgrade it.
Thanks guys

I just had this same issue on my 72. The rear joint came apart on the highway! So as was stated above the straps do not hold it. It needs the C clips on the insides of the straps.

You might be able to just change the caps for the yoke and put clips on those.

I might have some, I'll take a look tomorrow.
Otherwise "I know a guy"...

Your yoke should be machined on inside so clips on cups are against inner edge.
u4.jpg

There are C clips on the legs on the driveshaft but not on the caps on the ones on the yoke.

I have a good quality u- joint here with the caps and c-clips. If you like I can send it over but like someone here commented you can get a Spicer from summit for $20

Auto Transport Service
Back