• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear window electric defroster, anyone seen it?

SureGrip

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
Years ago (30+) I swear I saw a '74 Plymouth B-body in a junk yard that had an electric defroster in the rear glass. I don't think I've ever seen it since.

Was this an actual option back then? I know 71-74 rear glass is the same, but does glass from later 4-door cars work? Maybe it was a transplant?

I have one, photo to follow after I can take one
its half way down
71 charger rt window sticker.jpg

My dad ordered a new 74 charger se from the factory with the lines in the glass defroster

I've seen them not sure on when they started I'd assume 74 as I had a 73 with a blower motor rear defoger . I found a guy selling a rear window with it he said out of a 74 charger I was afraid to ship it though!

Thanks!

I've had a ton of the 'defogger' fan systems but only saw that one electric wire 'defroster' one.

If you are referring to the heated lines, I believe they debuted in 1974.
All other Chargers had the blower which sucked air from the compartment and blew back onto the window. Which worked IF it was warm in there. Also many folks wanted a speaker in there so there was an option (a very expensive one now if you want one) of blower/speaker.
Or since it kind of worked anyway, you can do what I did.
speaker-blower05.jpg
WP_20140706_001.jpg

My 74 SE sunroof car had one.

I saved it along with the switch for possible future use in my 73.

I wish I had grabbed the one I saw, but didn't have the tools to yank it without destroying it. By the time I got back to the yard again, the whole car was gone. :(

Kicking around the idea of upgrading since I'll likely yank the rear glass out of my 74 to re-seal, clean up the frame. I don't recall ever seeing one for sale before but there might be some if I actively look.

I saw once a full setup being sold on eBay ( not cheap of course ), including harness and relay system.

First year was 74.

Was this an actual option back then? I know 71-74 rear glass is the same, but does glass from later 4-door cars work? Maybe it was a transplant?

Forgot to say... 4 doors are diff monster from 2 doors

yep 70's gm had antenna in windshield

cool look.....unless it quit

I had friends with those cars, it could barely pick up an AM station if you were driving past it, let alone FM. Prolly why GM dumped it.

maybe it was just the car. Our Impala had no issues and drove it down from Jersey to Florida twice. Recently i sold a 1971 Pontiac Lemans with the same antenna in the windshield, it was bad but not as bad as my sons 2002 Ram 1500 lol, now that ones reception sucks.

The Ram radio problem could be a bad tuner.

Happened to my Dakota.

Replaced the radio and it was fine.

My 74 Rallye has the electric grid defroster on the rear window from the factory. You can see the cable going to the grid in this photo. Terry
Terry
20180115_172757 (Medium).jpg

1974 sales code for defroster (lines in glass) was G01. Ordering this also got you the 65 amp alternator.
rear window defogger (blower type) was sales code H31.
Don't know if defroster was available in 73. Dealer Data book doesn't mention the option.

Auto Transport Service
Back