• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear windscreen seal?

Malicious

Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Time is nearing for the coronet to get some paint and I'm trying to order in the rubbers needed.

Anyone know where I can get a rear window seal? I can find them for a 67 and earlier but not a 68.

Also, is there one shop that sells all the rubbers and gaskets? I'm going to have to buy them from multiple shops which means more money down the drain on postage... Don't want to buy them from the most expensive source but a few extra bucks on the rubbers all from one source will be better then 3 lots of postage!

Cheers

Yep, the front seams easy to find but the rear window seal is no where.

There is no gasket for the rear window. You should use black urathane window weld in a caulking tube to set the window in place . Be sure though that the window is set at the correct depth. Im having an issue installing my rear stainless now because of the window set too high. Also I think I have seen where some people are using a pre made urathane ribbon to set in place. That would certainly give you the correct depth. You will need to find out what thickness they are using.

I've read on here that the 5/16" is the way to go, 3M part # 08611. Can search for the link but also recall the pinchweld primer is important to make sure the tape stays adhered.

Let me know how it goes, have my Coronet to do soon once I get the back glass polished up.

Hello. I started a whole thread on this subject. PLEASE READ MY THREAD......Help on back glass( double curve ) 1968 GTX. IT HAS LINKS TO THE BUTYL TAPE TO THE KITS. Good luck

Thanks guys thats perfect!

On the other part, is there anyone store that sells all (or as close to all as possible) the rubbers & body gaskets available for a 68 Coronet?

Really trying to avoid wasting as much money as possible on postage to Australia as I can.

i have a catalog from a company called steele rubber products.I never used them so i can't say how expensive they are compared to anybody else.You might want to try them.

i have a catalog from a company called steele rubber products.I never used them so i can't say how expensive they are compared to anybody else.You might want to try them.

That's who I just bought all of my seals from and they are being installed next week. I'll let you know if we run into any issues. I chose them because they have a reputation for good seals that are not stiff and allow the doors to close nice, but they are one of the more expensive options.

Oh man, I'm gonna sound like a Dunk here, but I just get so confused with all the different types of seals and none of the sites are very user friendly which is making my confusion even more apparent!

Between Dodge, plymouth, charger, convertible, pillared and pillar-less, I KNOW I'm going to miss things, get doubles and just plain get it wrong! Not to mention the different names for the same things.

Actually just wish I could buy one kit that had every thing I needed. Or at least choose from a basic through to complete kit so I know I have the right car and no double ups.

I basically need, firewall gasket set, 'paint' gasket set, front windscreen, bumpers, plugs and as much of the door/window etc rubbers as the budget will afford.

Is there a chart somewhere that shows all the body rubbers? Would there be one in the shop manual? That way I can just tick them off as I go. Seams to be the only sure fire way of avoiding stuffing things up.

This should cover most of your shopping list:

Firewall insulation pad
rubber seal around windshield wiper motor
foam gaskets for bulkhead connector, wiper feedthrus and steering column (available as a kit I think)
Body plug set
Front windshield seal
Door seals
Glass run channel (vertical plastic/fuzzy slider inside vent window frame)
Fuzzies for door glass
Roof rail seal
Trunk seal
Door handle seals
Taillight seals

Thanks Meep-Meep,

I think I have managed to cut it down to 3 vendors, one is local. Here is my lists, if you see something I've missed, got wrong or being majorly ripped off please let me know!

Also sorry for pestering you all with this but hopefully this might help someone else looking to do the same thing in the future :grin:

From Detroit Muscle Technologies:
Firewall AC gasket set BXX6670FW01 - $35
Paint Gasket Set BCO6868PK01 - $65
Splash shield Auto set BCO6869SS90 - $88

Classic Industries:
See First Pic attached

Pentastar Parts and Restorations (Australian):
See Second Pic attached

I think I might be missing the inside glass fuzzies? Also, firewall insulation, I was thinking I'd go the dynomat route, would that be a suitable replacement for the insulation? Or will I need that as well?

Thanks again guys!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-08-01 at 4.03.48 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-08-01 at 4.03.48 PM.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 278
  • Screen shot 2012-08-01 at 4.04.09 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-08-01 at 4.04.09 PM.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 276
Looks like you've got it all, I believe the windshield wiper linkage seal kit is included in DMT's firewall kit. The dynamat could take the place of the insulation but to be honest I used both. I didn'tuse dynamat though I used fatmat which is the same thing but cheaper.

On the window fuzzies what you are after is part number MB1147 from Classic industries. Keep in mind that Classic Industries usually always has a 20% off coupon floating around. Whether or not there is a current one I don't know.

Some of the things you have ordered from the CI and the AU company can be ordered through DMT as well but the prices may be the same.

Are you just looking for vehicle side gaskets or component gaskets as well? What I'm talking about are the gaskets for the heater box and driver's side vent box. Things like that.

At the moment, I'm aiming for just what I need immediately after paint. I saw the heater box seals and thought I might do them later. I basically need to prioritise where my very limited budget is spent. What other ones did I miss? Anything crucial?

With the fuzzies, are they not part of MB1147? So I will need fuzzies and the 8 pieces window rubbers? This is why I'm getting confused.

Are the cheaper alternatives to dynamat good? I was worried that saving $50 might result in a product that didn't work as well or trapped moisture etc. If they're as good, I'm happy to save a few bob!

Some of the products on Classic Industries were back order, so I've found all of the back order items listed on the Australian site, just to save a bit of extra weight in postage (or a second postage bundle) and time.

Where could I find the 20% off coupons?? Just google it? or do you have to have a previous purchase etc? That would be amazing, every dollar saved at the moment helps, especially when postage could be over $200...

There is one other one that you don't have that you won't see until you remove it from down inside the doors. It's this molded u-shaped window guide. I can't remember what it's called and I honestly can't remember where I got it a few months back. Not many places carry them. Jeff from 521 restorations on here told me where to get them, so I'll dig back in my email and see if I can find it. Here's a photo.

Attachments

• window Guides.JPG
    window Guides.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 247
There is one other one that you don't have that you won't see until you remove it from down inside the doors. It's this molded u-shaped window guide. I can't remember what it's called and I honestly can't remember where I got it a few months back. Not many places carry them. Jeff from 521 restorations on here told me where to get them, so I'll dig back in my email and see if I can find it. Here's a photo.

If I remember correctly, if you have a hardtop like mine, you might also have trouble with finding the vertical molding rubber that attaches to the vertical chrome strip that goes on the back quarter glass. I think I may have got mine from year one because Steele Rubber didn't carry them. Not sure if classic industries has that one.

Found it! Here's the info with part #'s I had gotten from Jeff.
"Yeah, that's the channel. Looks like they sell them with the clips too.
Looks like Year one has them up as part number FD32230 for $73/ea.
Legendary is at $79 as part number WS66C-BVENT. You could try calling
rtspecialties.net. He's listing them (out of stock) also.

I ordered mine from Year One. You can go to either website to see the profile drawing.

Auto Transport Service
Back