• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuild break-in. Didn't go well. (Long read sorry)

beanhead

Straining The Limits Of Machine And Man
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:27 AM
Reaction score
First attempt, cranking the engine resulted in nothing. Double checked distributor and plugs/wires, gas in carb. Tried again, cranked more than I would like but started, revs quickly got up to over 2000 then it died. Waited and tried again...this time gas began overflowing out of the secondary vent..lots of fuel draining into the engine. Dammit! Changed the oil and filter, pulled the carb, double checked float settings and replaced the needle and seat. (even though I rebuilt the carb before re-installing the engine). Tried again. Again cranked more than it should but this time, started and stayed running. Set the rpm at 2500ish. Welp. 5 minutes into cam break in..flame eruption on the driver side of the engine bay. Had the car halfway in the garage because light rain was happening off and on...got it shut down and shoved into the driveway before the fire could lick the ceiling, then had to put out a 4'x6' pool of fire on the garage floor before I could get to the car. Extinguisher quit after putting out the floor fire so I had to use the hose on the engine. Looks like the car is okay other than some slightly cooked paint on firewall/inner fenderwell area. Everything not made of metal on that side of the engine is BBQd, wiring melted, brake MC and valve cover, ..at this point it does not look like it was started by anything electrical, the bulkhead is somehow okay but who knows what has been damaged. Oil on the floor but I won't put it up on jacks to investigate until it's safe. I hate to admit it seeing as how I've done this quite a few times without major issues, but at first glance it seems like maybe the hose from the oil pressure test gauge I had hooked up may have contacted the header pipe, got a hole, and began spraying oil when I was up front tweaking the distributor and checking the fuel level sight glasses. In other words, a disaster...Tough break but I'm feeling fortunate it wasn't worse..

So. If I'm able to repair/replace the damaged parts, can I continue the break-in procedure where I left off? I'm thinking (hoping) at this point that the engine is okay and won't need to come out (again)...

Last edited:
**** happens. You just have to continue on with the cam break-in as it sits once you get the issues resolved. As long as everything was assembly lubed and you are using a good break-in oil I think you should be alright.

I had a plug wire catch on fire on the pass side during my break-in about 10 minutes or so into it. So I shut it down, replaced the wire and continued on. I was Using Joe Gibbs Driven BR oil and a .558" / .564" lift solid camshaft. Still going strong 2 years later. Plus it starts up easier after it has already been running:thumbsup:.

I'd fire it up again and run it like nothing happened.

Set your idle at 2k for your break in. Then just rev it to 2.5k a few times during the 20 min duration. When the twenty minutes is up, shut her down and let it cool overnight.

Good luck this time around!

I'd fire it up again and run it like nothing happened.

Set your idle at 2k for your break in. Then just rev it to 25k a few times during the 20 min duration. When the twenty minutes is up, shut her down and let it cool overnight.

Good luck this time around!

25k might be a little much lmao!

Dont worry man I had issues as well on my run stand. First i missed a galley plug... no oil pressure Did not realize it until after about 3 minutes into the break in.. replaced all the bearings.. Then i would get about 4 minutes per snapper gas tank. Did the break in with HP manifolds. They cooked the paint off the valve cover both sides and burned my $40.00 moroso permaline gaskets.. So 200 bucks later after replacing all the bearings it runs awesome.

I agree with the rest of the guys.Don't feel like your the only one.We all have these stories.

Thanks guys. The engine harness wiring looks intact, just the outer wrap melted. The light harness is toast but I don't need that for run-in. I'm going to replace some plug wires and the spark plugs and try again this weekend. I was using the Driven 15-50 break in oil, wix 51515(as always) and now I'm glad I had the cam nitrided.

It could have been a lot worse......you were very lucky and I am glad your ok.....

Whenever I break a motor in. I have an experienced friend helping and a fire extinguisher ready........

Last edited:
Glad you're okay, car parts are better to replace than body parts. Things happening like this make for a more conscious check list next time. Happens more often then we would like.

I second the "friends" watching during break in. Watching temperature, oil pressure, rpm, etc. doesnt leave much room for watching for smoke, fire, and leaks before it becomes a blaze. Friends watching under the car and around the engine help a ton.

Glad it wasn't worse!! I agree with these guys, fire it up and continue the break in.

First time start -ups can be very stressful. I forgot that I only put 2 quarts of oil in the pan when priming the engine on the stand.After start up,and 20 mins at 2000, I was like OH SH!T. Thank goodness for good quality break in oil !

That really sucks that happened to you! But on the flip side your experience will help any one of us paying attention to what you said. I agree with darter6, new start ups are super stressful! It’s like watching your kids being born and hoping all goes well

Thanks for the encouragement all. Absolutely grateful for no injury or property damage...that stuff affects everyone in the family rather than just me and my machine. Having an extra set of eyes is where I was lacking this time, I will have a helper next go-around for sure!
:luvplace:

What a nightmare! I am glad to hear everything is ok.
Where do you live? Socal?

Auto Transport Service
Back