• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding a Thermoquad

Paul_G

Local time
11:03 PM
Reaction score
The 78 440 motor home engine I picked up has a Thermoquad on it. I ran the engine before tear down and everything worked. So I decide to try the TQ on my 49 Plymouth with a 318. It has an EDDY intake that will accept a spread bore carb. It started and idled well actually, then the accelerator pump died. So I decide to rebuild the TQ and try again.

I have the TQ tore down and all cleaned up. A kit should arrive here during the week.

Any rebuild tips or tricks that would be helpful?

I would need a spread bore to square bore adapter plate to put the TQ on my other car. I am just doing that for shits and giggles anyway. Do the adapter plates work well?

Yes the adapter plates are fine. Add in 1 more inch of height. It is an over estimated amount but not by much. Normally around 3/4 of an inch thick though it will vary by maker, then add the gasket thickness on top and bottom. Measure. They vary as well. Normally seen @ 1/16.

Since its going to be apart I recommend re-epoxying the jet wells on. They dry out over the years and can leak. I like to use Marine-Tex epoxy, works well. Clean all the old epoxy off real well and scrape the edges with a fresh razor blade so the epoxy has something to bite on.

Since its going to be apart I recommend re-epoxying the jet wells on. They dry out over the years and can leak. I like to use Marine-Tex epoxy, works well. Clean all the old epoxy off real well and scrape the edges with a fresh razor blade so the epoxy has something to bite on.
I used "the last glue" last time 5 years ago and still holding up.

Follow all ajustment instructions to the tee. Getting them out of order will totally mess up every thing.

Yes the adapter plates are fine. Add in 1 more inch of height. It is an over estimated amount but not by much. Normally around 3/4 of an inch thick though it will vary by maker, then add the gasket thickness on top and bottom. Measure. They vary as well. Normally seen @ 1/16.
Using the original thermo type gaskets will add all most 1/2" plus the adapter.

Thanks for all the tips. The kit I got was from Walker. Went together very well. I had to trim the bowl gasket just a bit to get it to lay flat. The instruction sheet wirh the kit was very good.

I am really surprised at how well the car runs with the Thermoquad. Crisp throttle response, wot feels stronger then the Holley 600 vacuum secondary does. Overall I am impressed.

I am going to drain the Holley and run the TQ for a while.

The Thermo quad is the best dual purpose street strip carburetor. I do think you’ll like it.

Auto Transport Service
Back