• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rechrome Cragar S/S Wheels

mslisaj

Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
I have a 65 Plymouth Satellite that has sported a set of Cragar S/S Wheels for the last 50 years and I need to get a pair of them rechromed. These wheels are not damaged in anyway other then the chrome is coming off the centers and that started 6 months after the initial install all those years ago. But now in my older age I'm showing the old car and it still is a classic and I would love to get these wheels redone. I have looked at the "new" Cragar S/S wheels and the centers are different from the originals in that the old set have a more rounded spoke and I don't want the "new wheel" look. I want to get these wheels rechromed and am not interested in a "quick fix". This car has been with me a long time and I'm not cutting corners at this point.

Thanks for your help finding a shop that performs this service.

Lisa

Ya....I hear you. My front were flaking and I have had them since the mid 80s...now my front dosnt really match the back. Most people don't notice but I sure do....stick to your guns I wish I did.

Won't be cheap if it can be done at all. I believe the wheels will have to be disassembled. Lot of labor if it is possible

Yes, the centers have to be removed to chrome both parts then reassembled. Not sure how that composite Cragar is held together. I doubt if the wheel restorers shown above would know how, they repair late model aluminum wheels that get banged up
And will be very expensive if they can do it

I had Lil Red Express wheels rechromed by Paul’s in Pittsburgh a year ago.

They were the only ones I could find at all that would even rechrome a wheel. They did not disassemble. Price was very reasonable at $500/wheel.

Worth a call, Paul’s Chrome Plating.

I had Lil Red Express wheels rechromed by Paul’s in Pittsburgh a year ago.

They were the only ones I could find at all that would even rechrome a wheel. They did not disassemble. Price was very reasonable at $500/wheel.

Worth a call, Paul’s Chrome Plating.

You can rechrome some wheels, those cragers will need to come apart otherwise you get yellow where the 2 pieces meet

If you really like them send one out for test item. I don’t blame you at all I think old stuff is usually better and something about avoiding chinesium makes me happier even if it hits the wallet deeper..

You can rechrome some wheels, those cragers will need to come apart otherwise you get yellow where the 2 pieces meet
Yep, that’s what the guys at Paul’s said. He then went on to say they have a technique and didn’t need the wheels separated. Might be different with other styles but he was the only shop that would even touch them.

Are those old Cragers cast? Might be a can-o-worms to rechrome.

Cragers are aluminum centers with steel hoop and somehow swedged together
The alum center is probably cast aluminum

Last edited:
Yep, that’s what the guys at Paul’s said. He then went on to say they have a technique and didn’t need the wheels separated. Might be different with other styles but he was the only shop that would even touch them.

Are those old Cragers cast? Might be a can-o-worms to rechrome.

Yes style determines viability. In general 5 spoke design will not allow chrome flow in all the places and you get the shadow effect. New the American racing guys well when they made at Compton, Calif plant and they couldn't get the 5 spokes acceptable for sale BUT that was years ago and maybe there is progress in that area now.

Only 1 guy I have seen take SS's apart and rechrome to restore. That's 65dartcharger on FABO.

Last edited:
50 year old alloy wheels are not safe, unless it's a parade car. Buy new and try not to look at them.

Reading this thread, I learn that these wheels have a 5 spoke steel frame inside of the alloy. I would use them, but not in competition.

Last edited:
One of my 15x12 Cragar Starwires (rare wheel, and in custom offset and size) had a pitted rust spot around 4x4 inches from stuff sitting on it in storage for 40 years. Otherwise pristine, I taped off and used rust disolving gel on the rusted spot to lessen it and smooth it out. Then I put POR 15 where the rust was and sanded that smooth. It came out ok. I am painting that spot with self etching primer, chrome paint, and clear coat. It will be noticeable up close but not too bad and pretty much invisible from any distance. I can always grind out the por in the future and get it redone correctly, but it was $1000+ for restoration not including shipping to the west coast. Someday I will, but for now it's good enough for me.

Thank you all for your responses and idea's here. I've looked at the wheels a lot and Cragar originally cast in a steel tab into the aluminum center that is ultimately welded to the steel wheel. To do the best plating job the wheels would have to be cut apart carefully and that tab would have to be preserved and then welded back. But I remember talking to some guys that used to do plating 40 years ago before the EPA destroyed the industry here and he was telling me that a special wire cage would have to be made and inserted into the inserted into the center area to carry the chrome into those cavities. I'll see if I can chase down Paul's in P.A. and find that shop. I totally get the price would be out of sight but it's worth it to me to keep the old school original design on the car. I'll try to chase that guy down on the "For A Bodies Only" forum and see what he did.
Thanks for the idea's and keep them coming if something new comes up.

Thank you all for your responses and idea's here. I've looked at the wheels a lot and Cragar originally cast in a steel tab into the aluminum center that is ultimately welded to the steel wheel. To do the best plating job the wheels would have to be cut apart carefully and that tab would have to be preserved and then welded back. But I remember talking to some guys that used to do plating 40 years ago before the EPA destroyed the industry here and he was telling me that a special wire cage would have to be made and inserted into the inserted into the center area to carry the chrome into those cavities. I'll see if I can chase down Paul's in P.A. and find that shop. I totally get the price would be out of sight but it's worth it to me to keep the old school original design on the car. I'll try to chase that guy down on the "For A Bodies Only" forum and see what he did.
65dartcharger is a great guy. His name is Ulf and he is from Sweden. He owns and has restored 1965 Dodge Dart "Charger" cars and is a expert on them. His first car is a multi award winner and magazine car. Whether 65 Dart's are your thing or not you have to respect the guy for his passion and expertise. https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/members/65dartcharger.3748/

Well, you must love your Cragars

Well, you must love your Cragars
Oh I do. These were the first set of wheels I ever purchased on my first car in fact. I was at a car show a few weeks ago and a nice Impala pulled in and it had a set of the newer "reversed" Cragar S/S wheels on it and they didn't look like mine. They had a more square spokes and the steel wheel was stepped and not a true reverse. It was then I decided I needed to get my wheels redone. Plus these are pre-drilled and run true. If I can find the shop I'll spend the money and I may be the only one that knows the difference in the old school vs. the new style.

I just thought I would take a picture of the two wheels I'm wanting to get rechromed. The interesting fact is this car has two "standard" and two "reversed" and the chrome is only coming off the reversed centers proving it's hard to flash good chrome that deep in a wheel. The two standard offset wheels the chrome is like new. I believe that Cragar chromed these wheels as assemblies. Now to have them disassembled and then rewelded back together would be the ideal way to do it. On Paul's Chrome Plating webpage he talks about $500 each to rechrome but I'll see what his estimate is when he get's back to me.

IMG_2196.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG

Please update the thread when they get back to you, i've also wondered about this and don't know anyone that has actually got their wheels re-chromed. I give you credit for wanting to keep your car the way you want it, hope it works out well

Auto Transport Service
Back