• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendation for car transport.

1968340S

Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
Any referrals for a car transport company. Looking for a enclosed trailer to move 1968 Barracuda and 1966 Satellite. I've talked and have got quotes with a few online and just feel very uncomfortable using any of the them.
Leaving California to Oklahoma in two months.

Thx Chris

Having spent 45 years in the trucking business, I think you have good reason to be concerned. The problem with any national transport company, is you are going to have a wide range of competence within their driver pool, even if they are pretty good, reputable carriers. With cargo that requires special handling, like vehicles or household goods (which I hauled during the '70s), the individual driver makes all the difference. Small, local guy with good references may be a better bet.

I had a '66 Corvette shipped from Atlanta to State College 12 years ago, and then back when I sold it two years later, and it was a fiasco both ways. I didn't set it up, dealer I bought car from went for the cheapest bidder. You get what you pay for and less. Horseless Carriage has been around forever and hauled for many high end customers. But in today's driver market, you might still have a problem.

Last edited:
This guy transports for a living.
Goes by Truly Vintage travels west coast to mid west
Scheduling Now

12 Feet Enclosed Trailer Space Available

Cresco, Iowa To Nuevo,California

Please Call or Text

Jim

260-804-6695
drive.gif

This is a map of my route

I didn't set it up, dealer I bought car from went for the cheapest bidder. You get what you pay for and less.

Sorry about your hassles but that was your biggest mistake right there! You should've done it yourself. Lessons learned by now I guess?
Congrats OP on the move, Good Luck & enjoy in the new greener pastures!!! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

You can look up most any hauler on transportreviews.com. That can help you with a decision pretty quickly. I've found it very helpful.

I still laugh to myself from an experience last year when I hauled a car I'd sold out to Denver. On the way back late one evening, I pass an open transporter full of older cars, motoring down the interstate at 65 mph, in the dark, with not a single light working on the cab or the trailer other than the two head lights.

Thought to myself: there's somebody that was the low bidder.

Last edited:
Having spent 45 years in the trucking business, I think you have good reason to be concerned. The problem with any national transport company, is you are going to have a wide range of competence within their driver pool, even if they are pretty good, reputable carriers. With cargo that requires special handling, like vehicles or household goods (which I hauled during the '70s), the individual driver makes all the difference. Small, local guy with good references may be a better bet.

I had a '66 Corvette shipped from Atlanta to State College 12 years ago, and then back when I sold it two years later, and it was a fiasco both ways. I didn't set it up, dealer I bought car from went for the cheapest bidder. You get what you pay for and less. Horseless Carriage has been around forever and hauled for many high end customers. But in today's driver market, you might still have a problem.

Everything you mention makes complete since. Good information.
Agreed, it's been 20+ years since I've shipped my cars. I forget how I used, but was happy with the ship. I'm getting close to having to do it again. Good Luck

Very recently a ‘70 Satellite I sold was transported from Illinois to Oregon. There were some false starts and frustration in finding a company/broker. In the end “Mopar 5150” was contacted (now I only know of Mopar5150 by a bumper sticker I received at a car show early last year). 5150 stands for crazy in police radio code. Any how, they recommended Silver Express, a broker, and they had Rios Car Hauler pickup the Satellite the next week. The operator of the 5 car open hauler was so knowledgeable & professional it would have brought a tear to my eye, if it hadn’t been so fricking freezing that night. Seriously he was Good. Anyways, I don’t know about availability of a closed trailer but....
Also on abodiesonly there was a long discussion on this subject that mentioned many highly recommended companies like Intercity, Reliable, Passport Transport and Horseless.
Best of luck... haywire

Last edited:
Depends on how important these cars are to u my dad bought a car trailer 24’ from Virgina to Nevada to haul all his precious items. Took couple trips but well worth it, and obviously the trailer comes in handy many years to come. I have had cars hauled and we all know its vary nerve wracking that can be.

Depends on how important these cars are to u my dad bought a car trailer 24’ from Virgina to Nevada to haul all his precious items. Took couple trips but well worth it, and obviously the trailer comes in handy many years to come. I have had cars hauled and we all know its vary nerve wracking that can be.
Sold my business and all my truck, trailers. Only have 1/2 chevy now.

Auto Transport Service
Back