• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendation needed for 440 Distrbutor

Jay Williamson

Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
hello,

I have a 67 Coronet RT and the stock distributor seems to be shot. .010” slop in the shaft. I want to replace it with an electronic ignition distributor, but I don’t want to spend a fortune and want something easy to install. Another question is will I need to swap out the coil? I enrolled mind doing this since the threads are stripped on the terminals anyway. Thanks in advance

Firecore is another option. Also from Mancini.

2yrs on my Summit Mopar dist. $150(?), no problems at all.

@HALIFAXHOPS sells original, rebuilt distributors. Add to that a Pertronix II or III with a Flamethrower coil and you will be in business. Looks stock, only one extra wire to run to the coil, and you can bypass the ballast resistor.

I am sure I have something. Define .010 slop side to side? Yes if you go to a electronic you will have to change out the coil. Personally unless you drive a lot say over 5k a year or race just fix the stock points system to keep it original. Really easy system.

I am sure I have something. Define .010 slop side to side? Yes if you go to a electronic you will have to change out the coil. Personally unless you drive a lot say over 5k a year or race just fix the stock points system to keep it original. Really easy system.

( Personally unless you drive a lot say over 5k a year or race just fix the stock points system to keep it original. Really easy system )

Best advice you'll ever need !!

The shaft in the stock distributor moved. Had a lot of slop in it

The shaft in the stock distributor moved. Had a lot of slop in it
Up and down or side to side. Up down is .032 I believe without looking, side to side should be less than.003 .010 is way out.

So I just installed my new Proform Distributor, and flame thrower coil. Pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly and the car tried to fire for about half a second, but now the car won’t even try and fire. I’m getting about 5.2 volts to the positive side of the coil and yes, I made sure to put the distributor in the same rotor position as the one that came out. Anyone ever installed one of these? Here are pics of what I have done thus far

D770A9D9-1DC5-40E0-A423-A0392A34EF3E.jpeg 835AFBB7-7EED-4435-A485-48F744DBA21C.jpeg

Are you sure you are not one tooth off,advance looks to be too far forward tho be timed right.

Picture 226.jpg Picture 633.jpg

Only goes two ways on a slotted shaft. Slants and chevys and also oil drive shafts have gears. Might be another deadly orange box? New electronics suck!

Last edited:
Only goes two ways on a slotted shaft. Slants and chevys and also oil drive shafts have gears. Might be another deadly orange box? New electronics suck!

Referring to the drive gear/cam orientation.Would be interesting to see where he has No. 1 on the cap and orientation of pick up compared to a Chrysler unit.

Last edited:
I would hope it is clocked the same way. Be really confusing for people not familiar with them if not and they are using the FSM as a guide.

I would hope it is clocked the same way. Be really confusing for people not familiar with them if not and they are using the FSM as a guide.

Confusion is not hard to find.The first Pertronics unit before the Ignitor 11 had to have one hole elongated about .020 and you had to move the wires one position on the cap to make it work on a dual point Prestolite. Pertronics later quit listing the first unit as not applicable to the Prestolite but with a little common sense you can make it work.

P6270573-001.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back