• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations on stuck valve stem keepers?

Chargered

Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
I was going to work on installing new valve stem seals on my 440 this weekend. Engine is in the car. When I compress the valve spring, the damn keepers are stuck and won't release. Any recommendations on how to free them up without damaging the valve?

short piece of broom handle or suitable block of wood with a hole drilled in the end of it big enough to clear the valve stem and keeper. Air up the cylinder and whack the top of the retainer with a hammer using the broom handle.

Oh wait your saying the keepers are stuck to the valve stem have you tried a little heat?

Last edited:
Do you have piston at tdc? Bdc?
Aired up cyl? String?

If the heads are installed using air is the best to do the job.

Last edited:
Use a soft drift and give the spring retainer a soft-ish blow with a hammer.

short piece of broom handle or suitable block of wood with a hole drilled in the end of it big enough to clear the valve stem and keeper. Air up the cylinder and whack the top of the retainer with a hammer using the broom handle.

Oh wait your saying the keepers are stuck to the valve stem have you tried a little heat?
I think I got it now. I tried a socket with 3-4 light hits to the retainer and that seemed to break the first 2 free. I'll get a piece of wood for the others. Thanks for the help!

Depending on the type of wood you use (brand?:D) it may not last for all of them. I use an extended socket that's about the same OD as the retainer and hit em all before trying to compress the springs. This usually shocks them enough to make the retainer 'let go' of the keepers. Don't hit them too hard because it's possible that you can compress the spring enough to let the keepers pop out but a decent whack usually does the trick. Then use your valve compressor to push the spring down.....and doesn't hurt to have a magnet handy to catch them. Might fill the openings in the head with rags too.

A hammer to the side of keeper BEFORE you compress it, been doing that for over 50 years and shown by a 60 year old then!

A hammer to the side of keeper BEFORE you compress it, been doing that for over 50 years and shown by a 60 year old then!
Same here since 1972. Once the rocker shafts are removed I hit all the retainers with a hammer on the outer edge. You do not have to hit them that hard and when they loosen on the keepers you will hear a distinct sound change..

Yup. They seem to always stick on me, a tap or two with the dead-blow releases them with no drama.

Same here since 1972. Once the rocker shafts are removed I hit all the retainers with a hammer on the outer edge. You do not have to hit them that hard and when they loosen on the keepers you will hear a distinct sound change..
Then do the opposite after they’re on, hit the valve stem head To seat them, like said you’ll hear the difference, forgot to say that on my original post. Thanks for reminding me.

Auto Transport Service
Back