• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations on the best battery

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
12:09 AM
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new battery. I've been sorely disappointed in the ones I've purchased for the family cars. I'm looking for a good power plant for a 68 built 440. I've read a bit on Interstate batteries and have heard they are very reliable and good for the beasts we drive.

Does anyone have opinions on them or any other brand and what I should be looking for?

Appreciated!
Kevin

Interstate and nothing else, no optima garbage (I know they are made by interstate, I hate them, they cost me $$ and died way too soon 3 times) or die hard sh!t, I have been through them all and its all I will use now... I think its the only good battery made anymore????!!!!!

labor day they have 20% off (not sure if it applies to car batts) and free shipping, pull the trigger, get the biggest that will fit and call it a day..

not sure which year your car is but here is the last one I bought for a 70 http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...4-2147384774-4294493586-4294490308-2147384903
6 year replacement... bought mine at summit for $110

Interstate and nothing else, no optima garbage (I know they are made by interstate, I hate them, they cost me $$ and died way too soon 3 times) or die hard sh!t, I have been through them all and its all I will use now... I think its the only good battery made anymore????!!!!!

labor day they have 20% off (not sure if it applies to car batts) and free shipping, pull the trigger, get the biggest that will fit and call it a day..

not sure which year your car is but here is the last one I bought for a 70 http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...4-2147384774-4294493586-4294490308-2147384903
6 year replacement... bought mine at summit for $110

Seventy - my car is a 68 GTX. I just called a dealer and they are ordering me one for $124. That's with the 20% off. Do you see any problem with this one fitting in my car? It's got 1000 cranking amps vs. the one they had recommended with 600.

The 600 amp one was what came up on Interstates website for my car. Bigger is better? If so I'll go with the one you bought. It's only $16 more.

I sell Sulfuric acid in tanker load to a few battery companies. Until recently Costco co was real good. I think their is only a few battery Companies left in the US like exide and a few private lable mfg companies.. Since you can no long smelt lead in virgin Mills everything is recycled and moving off shore to mexico and China.

Seventy - my car is a 68 GTX. I just called a dealer and they are ordering me one for $124. That's with the 20% off. Do you see any problem with this one fitting in my car? It's got 1000 cranking amps vs. the one they had recommended with 600.

The 600 amp one was what came up on Interstates website for my car. Bigger is better? If so I'll go with the one you bought. It's only $16 more.

Just take the measurements, I think the small block coronets used a group 24 which would be around 600cca, most 440 starters want around 450cca if I remember correctly, BUT more is better... It should fit, measure your battery tray make sure you have about 7x12 and then 8 3/4 height... I just checked interstates website for vintage car and 68 gtx 440 comes up with the group 27 and group 24 for a cheaper option. That comes with 30 months no questions asked and 6 years performance... I store them with a timed trickle charger and they last a long time, I have one in my 39 ford that is over 7 years old.

PLUS they look like an older battery, not only do I not like the optima because I got screwed with them on multiple occasions, but they don't look right in an old resto to me... Granted the mopar repros are nice, I think they are WAY over priced for what they are... These look retro but dont cost $300 and will last a long time and perform..

Main thing is, please, please
don't buy one from walmart.

I have always had good luck with Exide but it has been awhile.

I've always had good luck with DuraLast Gold, sold at Autozone. They are the only battery that seems to last in the dry AZ heat. I may try the Optima battery sometime, but for the money DuraLast Gold is hard to beat.

I put two Mopar batteries in my truck when the originals needed to be replaced. I got over 8 years out of them.

Haven't had any problems with Interstate or Duralast (Autozone).

- JDB

Most of the batteries made in this country are by Johnson controls. The largest battery recycler in the states has been Doe Run Corporation near St. Louis. In my opinion, the Optima battery is superior to the others made. They have higher CCA cold cranking amp capacity, higher reserve capacity, are basically immune to temperature and vibration, and can operate upside down if needed as the electrolyte is a sulfuric acid absorbed into a fiberglass mat, hence the name AGM. The electrode materials are lead and lead dioxide and are coated on the plate material and then wound together with the fiberglass mat and separator. The spiral construction yields a lower internal resistance and therefor a higher available output. Yes they are expensive but in my opinion are worth the additional cost. In recent years, most manufacturing is in Mexico but so what...the warranty supports their claim. If some of the people have experienced premature failures. their is a possibility of misapplication and/or overcharging with too high voltage. A lead acid storage battery (car battery) produces 2.0 volts / cell. SIx cells = 12volts. A 12 volt battery is usually charged at 14.0 volts to overcome internal resistance and to reverse the chemical reaction. A battery does NOT store electrical energy but converts it to chemical energy. During discharge the reaction reverses.....the lead oxides in the plates combined with the sulfuric acid form lead sulfate and water and give off hydrogen gas. Charging reveres the reaction to form lead, lead dioxide and sulfuric acid and gives off hydrogen. This reaction causes the battery to gas during charging and also requires occasional water additions to make up for the hydrogen (and oxygen) gas evolved.
Which battery is best???? You pay your money and you take your choice....I want the best. Thus ends the lesson...
Cheers,
RJ Renton

Most of the batteries made in this country are by Johnson controls. The largest battery recycler in the states has been Doe Run Corporation near St. Louis. In my opinion, the Optima battery is superior to the others made. They have higher CCA cold cranking amp capacity, higher reserve capacity, are basically immune to temperature and vibration, and can operate upside down if needed as the electrolyte is a sulfuric acid absorbed into a fiberglass mat, hence the name AGM. The electrode materials are lead and lead dioxide and are coated on the plate material and then wound together with the fiberglass mat and separator. The spiral construction yields a lower internal resistance and therefor a higher available output. Yes they are expensive but in my opinion are worth the additional cost. In recent years, most manufacturing is in Mexico but so what...the warranty supports their claim. If some of the people have experienced premature failures. their is a possibility of misapplication and/or overcharging with too high voltage. A lead acid storage battery (car battery) produces 2.0 volts / cell. SIx cells = 12volts. A 12 volt battery is usually charged at 14.0 volts to overcome internal resistance and to reverse the chemical reaction. A battery does NOT store electrical energy but converts it to chemical energy. During discharge the reaction reverses.....the lead oxides in the plates combined with the sulfuric acid form lead sulfate and water and give off hydrogen gas. Charging reveres the reaction to form lead, lead dioxide and sulfuric acid and gives off hydrogen. This reaction causes the battery to gas during charging and also requires occasional water additions to make up for the hydrogen (and oxygen) gas evolved.
Which battery is best???? You pay your money and you take your choice....I want the best. Thus ends the lesson...
Cheers,
RJ Renton

Wow I think I just got schooled by the Dr. of Batteries. What an excellent dissertation on the functionality of batteries. Thank you RJ I couldn't ask for a more thorough recommendation!

I can't speak to the science of why an optima is better or worse, AGM batteries have been around a while now and they are superior, I use them in my motorcycles and most batteries sold now are agm, so its not something new and special.
Optima is just a line of Interstate batteries, its made by the same people as any battery marked interstate. I spoke with an interstate rep a few times when I was having my optima issues and he told me, if you want AGM go with the mt7 series, saldy they dont have a group 27 but the 34 will fit and I have used them, I have better luck with them than the optimas which seem to be hit or miss. Some people love them some people hate them.

Now to say they are failing because of misuse, why did the battery that replaced it last for 6 years so far? The first one I had was in a plow truck that only got started in the snow, I had to get in the habit of taking a jump box with me, and there was no rhyme or reason as to why it wouldn't crank, sometimes it was only off for a couple days and not enough to start it, sometimes it was it was off a month and it would crank right up, sometimes I would shut it off and go to start it right back up and nothing at all.. I replaced it with a megatron and NEVER had another issue, not once, that truck sat there for 9 months with out touching the key, then on a 9 degree snow covered day I go clear it off, turn the key and BANG starts right up...
That optima was replaced for free, but that was it, I put it in one of my work trucks and 6 months later it wouldnt hold a charge, no second warranty, just replace it once.... I recycled it. I had a prostreet car that had a shitty charging system, ran off of the driveshaft, battery in the rear seat between the roll bar. I tried another optima, supposedly the best battery made, it was not up to the task, never had enough charge to start the next day, no big deal I put it on the shelf and put a heavy battery back in, again no issues, I sold that car after owning it for less than a year but never had to jump it again after I put the heavy battery in...
The optima gets taken off the shelf and put in a toyota tacoma, brand new truck but I added an electric plow so I figured the optima would do better and I had it there, plus the battery that came with the yoda was tiny, like 4 9v's taped together...
NOPE, no good, ended up stuck again!!!! Didnt even give it a second chance, put the yoda battery back in and have yet to have a problem.

so in my experience they suck. Not only that but they are ugly, in a hot rod or classic I dont want this futuristic red or yellow top in there, a decent battery that looks like a battery is much nicer... Maybe they look ok in a pro touring car, but besides that I prefer the std square battery.
I had a conversation with an interstate dealer, he told me you want proof the optimas had problems, go to amazon and read the negative reviews, sure a lot of positive but read the negatives, the batteries marked INTERSTATE are made in the USA, the ones marked OPTIMA are made in mexico, that could have something to do with it...
SO IMO if you want agm, get an mt5 or mt7, stay away from the optimas, I wish anyone with them one luck, and I hope they last forever, but in my experience, having owned $1000 worth of them and not having 1 great experience, I will spend my money else where...
heres interstates line up, you can see they put optima at the bottom :)

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m/category/car-and-truck-batteries/

Well at the end of the day I bought the Megatron 27. The Optima was way more expensive anyway. I went with your first recommendation and it was 20% off this week as well. I need something reliable and nothing pees me off more than when a battery takes a dump for no particular reason in some inconvenient place. I'm good thx for the recommendation.

Well at the end of the day I bought the Megatron 27. The Optima was way more expensive anyway. I went with your first recommendation and it was 20% off this week as well. I need something reliable and nothing pees me off more than when a battery takes a dump for no particular reason in some inconvenient place. I'm good thx for the recommendation.

you did good, that batt will look good, and give you years of trouble free service...

Auto Transport Service
Back