• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record & Destroy?

Loader

Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score
I am starting work on my 1969 Bee. When I removed the glove box, I found a Chrysler key under it in the support frame for the dash assembly.

It has a regular spiral key ring but also has a ring on with the key. On this ring there are raised letters that say “Record & Destroy” and there are two letters and four numbers stamped into it.

Anyone have a clue what this is? The key looks like it’s a match to my door/trunk key.

89F7709B-5768-4C6E-9B8A-589220043649.jpeg

Thats the key code, a locksmith or dealer with the key cutter can make a key for your car based off that code...

The original owner was supposed to destroy that.... Some people just can't follow instructions..... Very Cool!!!

Came with the cars when new. I have one for my Plymouth that the original owner saved.

Keep the ring if you ever need a punched key that is the code needed.
cantflip on FCBO can do one he has the puncher if ever needed.

I never realized, which smarter guys than me here probably already know, but there are code numbers on the lock cylinders and lock smiths can cut new keys off these codes. I had to have this done recently as my original keys are somewhat worn.
Never knew about the record and destroy keys. Very cool.

The round key shouldn't fit the doors. Never seen one that did.
Which would explain why it didn’t seem to want to fit the door cylinder. I haven’t used a Chrysler key in over 30 years, so I guess I forgot which hole to stick it in.
Are the round keys trunk only? If so, that’s a shame as my trunk cylinder is MIA.

Which would explain why it didn’t seem to want to fit the door cylinder. I haven’t used a Chrysler key in over 30 years, so I guess I forgot which hole to stick it in.
Are the round keys trunk only? If so, that’s a shame as my trunk cylinder is MIA.
Round key fits the trunk and glove box and the console if equipped. A good locksmith can also change any trunk lock cylinder to match that key.

Back in the day dealers had a lock tumbler kit and you could change the tumblers and set up locks to fit any key,,,,

I believe older GM keys had the code on the punched out hole for the key ring.

Back in the day dealers had a lock tumbler kit and you could change the tumblers and set up locks to fit any key,,,,
Yep. I have an Nos key kit from an old dealership.. It's cool it has everything.

Auto Transport Service
Back