• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Alert! Tail light plating

Branded

Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
My wife and I are close to completing a full restoration of a number’s matching 1973 Charger SE. We sent our tail light housings to Fusion Metal Plating in Miami, Florida to have the exposed outer edge refinished. Both pieces were in good solid condition. All six of the bulb sockets checked out to be in good working order and the wiring was all in good condition.

Speaking to this man before shipping them out I informed him that the light sockets were molded into the housings and were not removable. He assured me that the sockets and wires that are attached would not be a problem and he explained to me how it would be done to protect them. We discussed this again after he had received them and again, he reassured me that the sockets and wires were safe.

It took him exactly one year to ship our parts back to us. I was patient enough to not call about these parts anymore then once every two months before I began calling more often.

When we finally received our tail light housings from Metal Fusion Plating, we found that all the wiring had been cut off short from the sockets. The man had removed one of the sockets and destroyed it before going ahead with protecting the other five in the way he had described to me on the phone…twice!

Insult to injury is the fact that the quality of the plating finish is shameful. We now have to find another place to have our tail light housings re-plated.

I would really appreciate anyone’s suggestions about how to replace the bulb socket that Metal Fusion Plating destroyed.

My greatest motive for this review is to possibly prevent our fellow classic car guys from falling victim to Metal Fusion Plating.

Mike Ross @ BEA can replace the sockets.... He made up tooling to duplicate OE... He also made up correct light sockets....

[email protected]

Thanks for the info! Do you know any reputable source that does plastic plating?

Thanks for the info! Do you know any reputable source that does plastic plating?

you could give Glen a call over at GCAR and see if he does them, he does dash bezels, and he did my pillar mouldings as well!

I thought about a lawsuit but I just wanted to get the word out before someone else gets duped like I did. I'm just glad I got them back at all!

I don't know if GCAR does any plastic rechroming anymore, but Vacuum orna-metal does.

Auto Transport Service
Back