• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Redoing center console questions, 67 Charger

Spartycus

Local time
7:22 AM
Reaction score
Well, this started with adding a console clock to my 67 Charger and has grown to removing the console and looking to fix it up. Hopefully this doesn’t get too long winded, I just want to get this fixed up and put it back in. Here we go
1. Fiberglass has 2 cracks in it, one passenger side near light, other at the front nose corner nobody will ever see. What have you done to patch these and did you repaint it? If so what did you use?
2. Top plate where auto shift is, there are 2 holes drilled in the trim plate to”screw it down” because someone had installed the wrong bracket. I am installing the right bracket, has anyone ever had to plug holes and then paint the black back on? I need to paint the far back plate next to the console glove box door as well, it’s missing the the black ring the other plates have
3. Console lights. The repop lenses have larger tabs than the old yellow ones I am replacing so they don’t fit the holes. Do I just cut the tabs off and glue them in or drill open the holes?

any other tips? This started this when my clock wouldn’t fit, only to find out the wrong mounting bracket was installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Fibreglass? Is yours the one piece console? Those are plastic. Some sort of body shop 2 part epoxy would be good

Mine is a 2 piece. Not like a 66 all the way to the back, almost like they used the front half of a 66 with a bolt on short section to make it like the standard 68-70 consoles. I don’t think it’s plastic but it could be wrong

You have a 66 coronet console by the sounds of it. Thats good, they're way beefier than the flimsy 67-up ones. Yes pretty sure they're fibreglass.

66 were 2 piece consoles in B bodies. The 66 Charger had a full length console, so the rear pieces were different than the Coronet and Satellite in 66. The 66 pieces were fiberglass or some kind of thick composite material. Maybe some of the 67 Chargers could have retained a 2 piece front console, but I'm not positive. The Coronet and Satellite in 67 were one piece plastic that always seem to crack in the rear.
Repairs can be made to the 66 style consoles with fiberglass repair materials, but keep it on the inside so you don't have to try and duplicate the texture.

That makes sense. The console was not original to the car, it was a column car originally. It has a 66 EL gear selected plate and wiring harness in it as well which is why I put a 66 console clock in it, I liked the all EL look. I noticed it was beefer than my 69 console for sure. Sounds like it’s a little bit of a bastardized set up

Auto Transport Service
Back