• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Refurbishing SS Trim

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
I see all sorts of products that say they can remove scratches from SS. Before I go off on an exploration with bad results, thought I'd ask fellow forum folks what they found worked best.
Thanks!

I see all sorts of products that say they can remove scratches from SS. Before I go off on an exploration with bad results, thought I'd ask fellow forum folks what they found worked best.
Thanks!

Two guys who have done it recently are Moparnation and dadsbee .Its on their build forums I believe .

You will have to gradually sand out the scratches step by step. Starting somewhere from 400 grit, even 240, 320 depends how deep the scratch is.
Followed by 600, 800, 1000 (wet), 1500, maybe 2000.
Then I start with a sisal wheel with compound, followed by a polishing wheel with green compound and the final finish wheel.

What I discovered, as I am in the process right now, is you should not cross hatch. It’s easier to get it smooth when sanding in one direction.
However, my trim shines nice and I believe it never looked that good back then as it does now.

But I still have minor minor scratches showing up when you look very closely under bright light. I guess I will just live with that.

Hope I was able to help you. I remember there was also a good thread here on the forum.

You will have to gradually sand out the scratches step by step. Starting somewhere from 400 grit, even 240, 320 depends how deep the scratch is.
Followed by 600, 800, 1000 (wet), 1500, maybe 2000.
Then I start with a sisal wheel with compound, followed by a polishing wheel with green compound and the final finish wheel.

What I discovered, as I am in the process right now, is you should not cross hatch. It’s easier to get it smooth when sanding in one direction.
However, my trim shines nice and I believe it never looked that good back then as it does now.

But I still have minor minor scratches showing up when you look very closely under bright light. I guess I will just live with that.

Hope I was able to help you. I remember there was also a good thread here on the forum.
This is how I did it and my ss was painted black.Turned out like new ss.

You got that right. You can turn a treasure into a turd in the blink of an eye.
Found myself looking for my finger tips a few times! Also make sure the trajectory from the wheel doesn't include a car!

Thanks much for all of the advice! Slow and easy.

Thanks!

What you can do if you take your time,this was at one time brushed stainless,each one took about an hour.
Picture 239-001.jpg

As stated, get the dings out and sand up to 3k! When polishing trim, ALWAYS tape a piece of wood to the trim, this allows you keep better control of the trim and it’s not so hot on your fingers.

Auto Transport Service
Back