• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relay for 6al-2

machelis

Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Just to clarify, me and wiring do not go well.
Oil and water some might say.

So I just finished installing my msd 6al-2 box and got it all set up except for the switched 12v source that everyone seems to have issues with. I've searched high and low and just can't figure out how to install the relay. I've read about the ign1/2 sources and bridging, but this car is Frankenstein and wire colors don't match worth the skin off my teeth.

So...

I got a 30a bosch relay. 5 prongs. Alls I need to know it which wire connects to what. I'm pretty sure power goes to the 30, but don't know if 85, 86 or the 87s get the crank power, the run wire or a ground. This is the last task before I can drive it safely. (Having to disconnect the alligator clip from the battery to turn off the car can be embarrassing... )

Thanks.

You can fin
Howdy folks,

Just to clarify, me and wiring do not go well.
Oil and water some might say.

So I just finished installing my msd 6al-2 box and got it all set up except for the switched 12v source that everyone seems to have issues with. I've searched high and low and just can't figure out how to install the relay. I've read about the ign1/2 sources and bridging, but this car is Frankenstein and wire colors don't match worth the skin off my teeth.

So...

I got a 30a bosch relay. 5 prongs. Alls I need to know it which wire connects to what. I'm pretty sure power goes to the 30, but don't know if 85, 86 or the 87s get the crank power, the run wire or a ground. This is the last task before I can drive it safely. (Having to disconnect the alligator clip from the battery to turn off the car can be embarrassing... )

Thanks.
You can find many relay wiring diagrams on the web. Have you searched? I'm sure they are even on this site.
Mike

Howdy,

All the diagrams or forum posts i find are for distributors or amp meters. And even then, I would need it spelled out for me.

If you can post a link that i can use, please do. I'm tired of the constant searches.

Thanks.

I have the same MSD and don't have a relay, nor do I see one in their installation manual. You can go to the the ignition switch side of the ballast to get your 12 volt switched source. Use both wires so you have 12 volts during cranking and running (ign. 1 and ign. 2).

Howdy,

I'm pretty sure I've tried the two wires idea, I'll try to find the right ones again.

Thanks for the diagram mike, I've searched for days and that picture never showed up.

Appreciate the help folks. Hope i don't burn my car down.

Thanks.

If, as you say, your wiring is all screwed up, drop the ignition switch out of the dash and see what color you have on IGN 1 and IGN 2. Follow the wires out to the engine compartment. They should end at your ballast resistor. At that point, tie them together with the MSD smaller RED wire. That's your switched 12 volt source. Remove the ballast and the wire that used to go to the coil. The coil will have ONLY the Orange MSD wire (+) and the Black MSD wire (-).

Thanks coloradodave. I figured out my ign2 was cut and ended up being another black with white stripe. Used a three wire connector for ign1, ign2 and red and it all works now.

Appreciate the tips folks.

I agree with above, go straight to a 12V switched source like the ballast wiring. I have MSD boxes in multiple vehicles and have never heard of anyone using a relay on them. There would be no reason to, the switched 12V is just the on/off for the box.

Sounds good. I was going by the advice of one experienced fellow helping me wire up the msd box. I guess I'll ask why he recommended the relay over the wiring. Hell, it may have been a misunderstanding on my part.

Either way, you folks helped me get it all done and I've driven it for the first time in 2 years. 20 very happy miles so far.

If, as you say, your wiring is all screwed up, drop the ignition switch out of the dash and see what color you have on IGN 1 and IGN 2. Follow the wires out to the engine compartment. They should end at your ballast resistor. At that point, tie them together with the MSD smaller RED wire. That's your switched 12 volt source. Remove the ballast and the wire that used to go to the coil. The coil will have ONLY the Orange MSD wire (+) and the Black MSD wire (-).

Thats is right as on our old Mopars we have ing 1 and ing 2 right on the switch which is nice. I did have to install a relay on my buddies Duster since he went with an aftermarket dash and the ignition switch did not have an ignition 2 terminal. So I had to use a relay and tie it into the start terminal on the ign switch which would power the relay winding when cranking and then the relay sends battery volts to the red wire when cranking. It will work just like using the ing 2 terminal on the ing switch because it has separate terminals so none send power to the start terminal in the run position. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back