• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reluctor gap adjustment

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
I am running a Firecore electronic distributor that runs great. I have a 2nd identical unit as a backup. Both have been run on my motor without issue and each has less than 3000 miles of service.
The backup reluctor gap was about .008” when I measured it upon removal and stored it away. After some fine tuning of the dizzy in the car, I pulled out the backup to adjust the mechanical timing so they are the same. When i got everthing back together I noticed that the reluctor gap seemed a little tight. As I hand rotate the reluctor it clears the pickup magnet but as it nears the magnet it pulls together and and makes a click sound as they contact. Is this normal? How would my gap change when I didn’t adjust it? Here is a photo of how it looks now. If I now need to adjust the gap, what is the process to do so?

628B0EFD-02FD-4D87-B729-114389EEDEB7.jpeg

Watch this Youtube video from the Chrysler Mastertech series. Go to 14:12 on the timer and watch til 16:00.
It will describe in detail how to properly adjust the reluctor gap.

Great video. Much appreciated. I wonder how it became too close when I didn’t adjust it? For sure it needs adjusted now.

I still have my brass feeler gauge that I bought in 72 just for setting the gap ! .008

when vacuum actuator acts the gap can change while the advance is working. Is a default on design.

yes, you can feel the "clicks" spining by hand since you get a magnet able to make a small "stop" on every reluctor point passing in front of the pick up end.

Last edited:
forgot to say, since the gap changes on the vacuum travel, there is a chance the pickup coil could get so close to bite the reluctor. I have had to try to save that playing with the pickup coil bracket, bending here and there up to get it positioned able to get a gap between .007 up to .011 or so allong all the advance travel, but never bite the reluctor.

Auto Transport Service
Back