• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reman Thermoquad Carbs

Good to know. Maybe the want to buy some cores? Thermobogs are back..Woo Hoo. Ive built a 100 of these things over the years. The sound is amazing when opening the 4 barrels. But bad mileage period. Quadrajet incorrect but mopar used them in the 80s far better all around carb.

But bad mileage period.

If all you've ever gotten from a Thermoquad was bad mileage, you've been doing something wrong 100 times. I'm not trying to be smart, just being straight up. Thermoquads are perhaps the most efficient 4 barrel carburetor ever built. When built and tuned correctly, they can see 20 plus MPG on a mild to moderate engine.

I know first hand. My 71 Dart was a mid 13 second street car with 3.23s and street tires. Swap on slicks and 4.10s and it went 12.99. VERY mild 360, 904, 2200 converter and I regularly saw a touch over 20 on the street with the 3.23s. Others have had similar results through the years. I will admit, there is a big learning curve with them, but when they are right, they are right.

Rusty, I've always liked AVS and AFB carbs. I see all the summit rebuilts are 800 CFM square bores. Would you run one of these Summit thermoquads over a new Edelbrock? I recall a ehrenberg article on the benefits of the small primary larger secondaries of the old mid 70's thermoquads and added benefit of phenolic resin bodies for heat dissipation/non-absorbing qualities

Me personally.I would run a properly tuned Thermoquad all day long over any carb!

Thermoquads and Rochester Quadrajets where both the ugly looking carbs that ran better than any other carbs made. Small priomaries and great fuel economy on both.

Yeah I'd love to try one of the ner ramans. The problem with them or any metering rod style carburetor is when the engine is built with a pretty radical cam and has low manifold vacuum, it becomes a problem for the metering rod system to regulate the fuel. They tend to bounce. Unfortunately, no one makes any aftermarket tuning parts for the Thermoquad.

Also, I'll add this. A lot of times when people see bad mileage out of one, it's because they are not aware of the problem with the float bowl fuel well leaking. If you don't take care of that, they'll leak and get bad mileage all day. If they're leakin bad enough they run like hell too.

Auto Transport Service
Back