• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the Yugo

cbodybob

Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
Ah the Yugo. In my traveling junkyard show I was bound to come across one sooner or later. First one I’ve seen in probably two decades & only the second I’ve seen in a junkyard. Back in the 80’s I was working at a small locally owned auto parts store. I kept noticing more & more Yugo’s on the road. The local Pontiac dealer was responsible for that. So I suggested to the store manager that we probably should start stocking parts for them if we could find a source. We did. A company called World Parts offered quality replacement parts. So we bought a small order of tune up & maintenance parts. Sure enough people started calling & coming in looking for filters, plugs, brake pads trying to find parts cheaper than the Pontiac dealer. Well within a couple months that $1000 investment in Yugo replacement parts inventory had turned & a second order was place & I had a brisk business going. Fast forward to 2021 & my buddy Scotty gets one in his junkyard that runs & drives but needed a head gasket. So I made a video of it & it brought back some memories for sure. Funny thing is I’ve never rode in or drove one. Click on the picture if you dare & enjoy my attempt to reflect on my past with the Yugo automobile
Remember the Yugo

What do I remember about Yugo's? I had a couple of buddies when we were young that would get them rocking and flip them on their side. They did this a couple of times to peoples cars that were sitting in a bar in a college town. Poor guys would come out at closing time all liquored up to find their car like that.

I remember when a Yugo was blown off the Mackinaw bridge. Probably reached record speed in the 500' fall.
Mike

Ha ha, thanks Bob. I still have a brand new water pump for one.....gives me hope some day , somebody may want it.....NAWWWWWW....

I feel the same when I stumble across a Vega or Pinto in a yard......

Drove one at the local dealer when they came out. Not bad for a 'round the towner.
A guy I worked with bought one for his daughter for collage. It was shot and falling apart in the 4 years she was in school but it served it's purpose .
Thus the phrase, "Throw away car."

My roommate bought one.

Right away the wiper blade fell off, like drove it home from the dealer and turned them on and one popped off.

it was a total piece of crap.

They should have given you 2 Yugos when you bought one, one to drive the other for spare parts.

On a quiet night you could hear them rusting.

I remember when a Yugo was blown off the Mackinaw bridge. Probably reached record speed in the 500' fall.
Mike
You are correct Mike. On September 22, 1989, Leslie Ann Pluhar died when her 1987 Yugo plunged over the 36-inch-high (91 cm) railing. High winds were initially blamed. I wondered what her last words were before hitting the water.

When I was in the Air Force a buddy of mine bought one new. Throw away car is exactly right. Seemed like everyone of them that you ever saw was white too...

I know someone who had one that had a clutch cable break. He did a temporary repair using a piece of rope and drove it home. He said it worked as good as the correct part!

What do you call a broken Yugo? A Nogo
What do you call a Yugo with a passenger or two) A Wego
What do you call a girl who owns a Yugo? A You Go Girl!!!

I'm done here....

yes I remember them and also the other piece of **** The Le Car
bd49a130f4206f175826aba7b5c4957a.jpg
gP918dhCX7Pkx56WtO9imzi71sY7cn6_0Rpm-Y7fEXQgPlRzMC2Zj8YA8BkcWA5Fy4MqoMRJbxlXJVih2JCXodXFqa69xiHA.jpg

Every day at high school back when they were new a short stocky girl would push start her Yugo while her boyfriend was behind the wheel. He would pop the clutch after she pushed it 10 foot..... phphphphph-vrooooom. Muffler was gone 2. There was no roll down hill. She literally push started the thing on the flat by herself, maybe even up hill a bit.Lol
To this day I still don't know why she pushed and he drove every single day. :lol:

Last edited:
Ah, the Yugo Nowhere. I also remember the Lada and Skoda from back then. Although I've been in a newer Skoda (built after Volkswagen took it over) and it was pretty well built.

Auto Transport Service
Back