• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remembering what IS important in life

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
Received shocking news today of a former work associate who died suddenly at 43 leaving his wife and seven kids. As I was texting with other’s who worked with him, in a state of disbelief, it prods some reflection many of us do when getting tragic news of someone you knew or closer. It wanes as time and grief passes for most.

It is this sort of tragic happening all of us get to share. Nobody is spared. When a loved one or someone close passes on, it hurts. I think of this man who will never get to continue seeing his kids grow…as they have more birthdays, future holidays, graduations, accomplish things, marry, and so on. I think of this man leaving at his age and what I was fortunate enough to experience with my kids, being nearly two decades older. And what his kids are going to have to miss with him gone. Some are more fortunate to pass on at old age with the cycle of life more well, understandable. Nothing is sadder than if a parent has to outlive their kid or young spouse, expecting they should have been allowed to live another 30 or 40 or more years. I have loved ones and friends who have had to endure this. The older you’re able to stay around, the more you get to experience this.

I was fortunate that my folks pretty much died of old age and reflect how lucky I was; but it’s still tough. Don’t think one day goes by when I don’t have a quick recollection of my folks, their worldly advice, scorn, or a laugh about them. In any case, it is something that makes all of the other happenings going on around us so…unimportant. Time and grief passes though until the next time…we receive another reminder about what IS important.

I have noticed for a long time that the wrong people die.

Sorry for your loss
& my deepest heartfelt sympathies go out to all concerned

I had a couple of people I went to HS with died early on
from stupid stuff, car wrecks etc.,
never got to do or see 1/10th of what I have
it's such a shame to lose someone so early

(& those that are truly asshole or trolls/loser live on to old age)

I also think far too many of the truly good people
get taken way to young in life

at 61 now I often think about stuff I did when young
surprised I lived this long, I really lived life on the edge when younger
Now I see my mortality & see people I care for aging rapidly
or have died
I wish I knew then what I know now
I'd have done a few things & maybe helped some differently
not sure my input would have helped

I was so overwhelmed, taken by my love for
guns/sports/golfing/cars/bikes/4x4's/quads/skiing/surfing & family etc.
I didn't see some of what was happening around me...

I think many of US bare that burden
& don't see it until it's almost too late

Last edited:
What is important? I think family is so important but I see so many families that dont care about their mom,dad,sister ect. So sad . I lost my parents at a young age-23- and then lost my wife -she was 48 and then my sister. I am 55 and miss them all so much. Im raising a grandson-15-who thinks the world owes him something. There are days I ask why but know at this time Im looking threw a dim glass. Prayers not answered friends getting sick and the world going to crap.So I say hug your love ones and remember we are not promised tomorrow,be grateful and treat people the way you want to be treated. And have hope.

My "signature" on a fishing forum that I'm on is "Enjoy Life Now, it has an Expiry Date".

Condolences to all involved Ron.

Im 35 and have rarely experienced death in my life. But recently I found out about a colleague that passed away in a small plane crash. He was always pushing me to go get my license and always up beat about it.

He took his niece out on a "graduating high school" flight over her parents house. He lost engine power and tried to crash land the plane, his niece survived and unfortunately he passed away. He was probably 53 or so years old. Its tough talking to his wife who is/was his business partner and helping her through the tough time since she is now the sole owner of the company.

And more recently I lost a friend who I graduated high school with who accidently OD'd on pain meds. This was the first time a death really hit me and made life come more into perspective. Unfortunately he took pills that were laced with fentanyl and his heart gave up.

You just never know when your time will be up.

Life has a way of teaching all of us what's truly important in our lives. May we be fortunate to live long enough to understand it. 440'

Lost me mum when we were broadsided by a semi when I was 9. I walked away she never left the hospital. I learned early how precious life is. I learned we shouldn’t waste a minute of life. Was born with a heart defect and not being able to do what most people could pretty much all of my life. Yet I am thankful for everything I have have and had experienced in this short sortie on planet earth.

Life is magical, frail and short so make the most of it!

Condolences to all on the loss. I’m horrible at making time for family and even friends as I’m worried about getting ahead all the time.... my dad retired had massive stroke two years after he retired, he survived but it worked him over.. I recently lost a good work colleague to cancer.. I was pissed at him till I realized I thought it was the cancer making him act that way... I parted ways to another job, got word and called him to make things right .. glad I did.. amazing what happens... life is so dam short..

Live for today,be sure to tell the one's you love how you feel. Tomorrow is not guaranteed

life is a crap shoot. Our friends wife died from cancer at 31, back in 1981. You just never know. I spent 39 years working at helping people with foot related problems. Some passed on early with other symptoms. Then you had some that disregarded all advice, defied odds kept their lifestyle and lived on do to our healthcare system. Hope this is not considered a rant. I can do a real rant!!

Received shocking news today of a former work associate who died suddenly at 43 leaving his wife and seven kids. As I was texting with other’s who worked with him, in a state of disbelief, it prods some reflection many of us do when getting tragic news of someone you knew or closer. It wanes as time and grief passes for most.

That's rough. I can't imagine how they all feel.

I was fortunate that my folks pretty much died of old age and reflect how lucky I was; but it’s still tough. Don’t think one day goes by when I don’t have a quick recollection of my folks, their worldly advice, scorn, or a laugh about them.

Very true. I visited my parents and grandparents graves just the other day.

We have a Cornish comedian here called Jethro....he always finishes his act with the same line.

"Live everyday as if its your last.....cus one day you will be ******* right!"

Sorry for your loss and condolences to his family!! Life can Very unfair and none of us can escape its sadness. Prayers sent!!

Last edited:
Indeed, shocking is the most appropriate word when someone so young suddenly passes on. It certainly jolts people to their core upon hearing such sad news and is bewildering to those closest to the recently departed. His wife and children need support from everyone, as well as our heartfelt condolences and prayers. The period of mourning can be long, but must eventually be replaced by going forward with the rebuilding/reconstruction of their lives. For now, the time is for mourning and it isn't easy. My condolences to his family and friends.

A lot of great messages, every one, well as we all have sad experiences with loss of those we care about. I lost a good buddy 10 years ago; he was five years younger than me and a total health nut unlike me, pardoning the times he let that aside for fun. We had an odd history of how we got to know each other, early on as we ended up working together for 15 years and later after we moved onto other jobs, became closer buds. Longer story. At first we thought of each other as ******** we laughed about later and chalked it up to being so much alike in some ways and we were hard competitors relishing one-upping each other at one game or another. We had gone out for a few beers and as usual found stories about **** we encountered mostly to do with horrendous crap we went through when we worked together that got us laughing so much to the point of tears. Then a few days later I get a phone call from a mutual old bud saying "Did you hear about Ralph?" Perplexed by his question, I said not sure what you're talking about. He replied he's dead...he died. Of course I was shocked as hell. He was all of 50 and died instantly from a massive heart attack rumored to be the "widow maker" heart condition. He was a stickler for health check ups, no family history he knew of...was a runner going 5 on mile runs a couple times a week. I mustered up enough to deliver a eulogy at his service that was one of the roughest things to do in front of some 300 people with his wife and two boys in front. I had to rehearse it several times and this worked out to get through it.
I think I must have snagged what they call survivor syndrome as for years I'd have dreams about him and still do I'd say once a week today. Suppose it was the expectation he'd live another 40 years and being younger than me.

With all this about death, it turned my thoughts to life and how long it should last. I’m not sure I get it. I’ve had many great days, but, I’m not sure when enough will be enough. When do we draw the line and say, that’s probably enough, I could go now if I had to. The will to live is strong, but the fear of death is stronger. No matter how bad life gets it’s better than death. What do we know about death? If we believe, then we know there is a better place to go. Better, much better, who will be there, is it bright and happy, if so then maybe there looking down saying, don’t worry about me, I’m fine. Then we just miss each other till we meet again, I could live with that. I mean it’s better than dark, sad, never seeing anyone again and time stopping. I think a belief in something can only help. I believe that we can’t just be here a few years and that’s it. I mean we lose touch with old friends but they’re not dead, we know they’re still there, so that’s OK. But to die is to miss out on everyone else’s life. Life’s too short by any measure, I just don’t want to do it alone and when my time comes I hope they’re all there. I know with all my losses I’ve had in my life, that friendship is the only beast, that’s never known to bite, until it’s dead.

Auto Transport Service
Back